Fuel gauge

Shredder

Hey,
New here to the forum. Just got my first srx about a week ago. Its a 2001. Sled had electrical issues when i got it. Harness rubbed through but ended up fixing that right away. I was hoping when I did fix the harness my fuel gauge would work but it does not. Can any one point me in the right direction on getting this working? Curious if this is a common problem or not.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

first thing to do is to take a ohm meter and check the operation of the fuel level unit in the tank, unplug the wire plug and hook up your meter to it, then take off gas cap and use a wire coat hanger to move the float up and down and observe if the ohms change, if they do its good, if they don't its bad.

say that it checks out then use the end of the wire at fuel level sender on sled harness side and locate the wire up at fuel level gauge, put one probe on each end of wire and turn your meter to the sound or continuity alarm, does it beep when you touch both ends of harness? if it does means the wire is good and not chaffed, and more then likely then your gas gauge itself is bad. If it doesn't beep, the wire is chaffed in the harness that runs under the engine.

first thing to do is to take a ohm meter and check the operation of the fuel level unit in the tank, unplug the wire plug and hook up your meter to it, then take off gas cap and use a wire coat hanger to move the float up and down and observe if the ohms change, if they do its good, if they don't its bad.

say that it checks out then use the end of the wire at fuel level sender on sled harness side and locate the wire up at fuel level gauge, put one probe on each end of wire and turn your meter to the sound or continuity alarm, does it beep when you touch both ends of harness? if it does means the wire is good and not chaffed, and more then likely then your gas gauge itself is bad. If it doesn't beep, the wire is chaffed in the harness that runs under the engine.

Ive fixed the harness under the engine so im 98% positive that is not it. It was pretty bad. I figured it was either the sending unit or the gauge but was not sure on how to test those.

Thanks for the help mrviper

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

youll be the first to know how well you fixed the harness with a continuity check on the wire that goes from sending unit to the gauge, its very possible its broken or shorted inside the insulation if it was arcing with rest of hood harness under the engine on the frame, they do all kinds of weird things when circuits are being powered from adjoining wires and shorted to the frame. Its also very possible it ruined the gas gauge and or sending unit also, youll have to check.

Good point. I didnt think of that. I mean i guess the wires were pretty much melted together from arching.i couldnt beleive it when i got it out.

Back