Hard Starting

Cherrypicker

I have 3 sx700's, and a SRX700, every year when I attempt to get these things started, it's almost as though the float bowl has emptied, either through evaporation or whatever, it may take as many at 20 pulls to get them to light. So I have resorted to dribbling fuel down through the airbox to "prime" the intake. Generally cuts the number of pulls by at least 2/3ds. However had the SRX backfire one tme and set it on fire. I'm a bit more reluctant to do that these days. Make sure to have the sleds off the trailer and far from the garage. Once started and run a bit, they are all one of two pull starters, let them set a few days and it's pretty much the same. Wondering if any of you have experienced the same thing, and how you have dealt with it other than installing an electric start.

For the most part, this is the way that both my vmax 600 are and my ovation 340. That is only after they sit for 4 months though. Every start of the season it takes 20-30 pulls to get it started. But after that they are 1-4 pull sleds (depending on the temp outside) unless you let them sit for more then a month.

They are like that. These are 20 yr old sleds and everything being ok as in comp, clean carbs, PV ect its the nature of the beast. Trust me we have a whole fleet of older yamahas we do this with. Dont pour the gas down the intake, just pour a tiny bit of premix down the plug holes. It will cut your pulling down to about 3 or 4 tries till it gets its fuel and prime back.

All carbs are vented to the atmosphere. The fuel will evaporate over time and the cabs will be empty. Nothing you can do to stop it.

This is a VERY easy thing to overcome on almost every Yamaha 2 stroke out there. Works on first season start up, when you run out of fuel or any time you have empty carbs.

Locate your sled's fuel tank vent line. Fill the tank with fuel, close the lid and blow into the vent line (lung pressure is usually enough) to pressurize the tank. Fold over the line and hold it for a minute or so. This will fill the carbs and it should start right up as normal.

Been doing this for years. Works perfectly.

opsled

Back