Exciter SX clutching

ExciterSX

Hey guys I'm new here, just bought a 93 exciter SX and tried the clutch setup that yammiegod had posted on the SX page. Now the problem is it only revs out to 7000. Put the old clutching back in and it revs to 7750 like it should. So if anyone has any ideas or can get a hold of yammiegod that would be great. The setup is 8ab weights with 4.5 g rivets in both holes, srx tall cover and yellow white yellow spring

Yeah it revs to 7750 with stock clutching like it should. I can only get 7k out of it with this new setup that I heard from a bunch of people was supposed to work perfect

go back to the standard cover once with his set up .....leave the tall cover on the shelf for a bit .....also make sure your roller size is the same ....if it works with the std cover i will explain later

that setup worked perfect on my exciter sx. i want to state i think the problem here is this setup that i posted there was for the exciter sx with a bender racing single pipe. not the stock pipe. that might be your issue, that pipe made power at 7700-8000, matter of fact, guy i sold it to loves it to this day. now for starters, i had updated my secondary to the 96 vmax 600 to have the option of using new cams. i had recommended changing the cover because the change to a tall spring could bind with the stock sx cover. i like to see use my setup. that worked great. 3;16x (yammie tony)

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have said it also has a delaughter pipe on it that's supposed to make power around 7750-8k. Should I take the rivets out of the weights and try it like that? Also I still have the stock helix in the secondary because I called Hauck and they couldn't find the multi angle helix you suggested

yea, not much option with the stock secondary. thats why at that time i posted on excitersx.com how to update the secondary. i would stay with my setup, but make a change to the tip rivet . try the 3.1 3:16x(yammie tony)

see if you can add some twist to your secondary, and replace your spring. let me look at my old info for ya. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Do you have the stock pipe? That might actually work better than the delaughter pipe. The only single pipe that works wit the sx is the bender. It also has to be for the sx and not a regular exciter. I am normally a huge fan of Yamaha clutching, but a Polaris primary works amazingly well on this sled.

The delaughter pipe is pretty decent, in fact one of the best for the SX. Psi twins are obvously kings on these sleds, but while the bender is a good single, the RPC has the most torque for corner to corner. Is your name Steve by chance, Phazer guy??
Im going to have to agree with Phazer guy about Yamaha clutching on these Exciters of any year. I have been playing around, trying to tune the YVXC on my sled for a couple of years now. This year I put a Comet on it (while I hate Comet, I will go to a P-85) and the difference was almost 10 fold. I finally had accelleration AND back shift!! It was always a compromise with the Yami clutch.

Last edited:
Phazer guy is right ....the Rpc pipe for the sx was not steller and neither the delaughter for the sx Bender Single SX pipe or Psi twins or leave it stock

the bender racing '' exciter sx '' single pipe wich is stamped S.X. on nameplate is a whole different animal on this sled. rocket ship. i added psi twins to mine and would of rather stayed with the bender single. when i did the secondary conversion, this sled was a baby vmax 4. 3:16x (yammie tony)

Phazer guy is right ....the Rpc pipe for the sx was not steller and neither the delaughter for the sx Bender Single SX pipe or Psi twins or leave it stock

The dyno sheets look darn good for all of those pipes. Just like a 2am 'er, I wouldnt kick any of them out of the sack. I have had the psi twins, single, and rpc single on my sled and my buddy's sled over the course of 10 years or so on and off. (these were sx's) they were all better than stock and with out a doubt were quicker and pulled harder.
Also just because one clutch set up/pipe worked great for one guy, it may not work for another due to various things such as gearing, weight, style of riding etc. A good few of the aftermarket pipes required or suggested a gearing change. I had 3 sx's last year and they all had a different top gear. Although I bought these sleds in parts, I know the prevous owner had several different aftermarket pipes in his collection that came off these sleds.

Last edited:
I have a p85 primary sitting around from a 94 RXL, does anyone know if that one will work on the exciter or does it have to be from a twin?

That p85 should work great. The one I'm using came off my old xlt. Start out with 10-AL weights 53 gram and a tall purple comet spring

Back