Understanding my new/used Exciter 2

Update on 1990 Yamaha Exciter LE bogging trouble shooting...

I removed the moving parts of the thermostat essentially eliminating it. I elevated the front end 2' and removed the seat to try to bleed any air out of the rear while adding coolant as the machine ran. I returned the needle clip to the middle of five positions on the needle. I was really hoping that'd work but as soon as I tried to leave the yard the machine bogged down.

I appreciate all the advice and ideas I've received so far but this sled is driving me crazy.

A person a different forum mentioned bypassing TORS. I think my problem is elsewhere. I still need to go back in again to double check carbs and jet sizes as Throttle Junkie35 mentioned. It's just so strange because it can run so well for 10-15 minutes and then it fails on me and I might be stranded for 5 seconds or sometimes much longer.

I've looked at the clutches, fuel system (not air locking in tank to my knowledge), spark, compression, tried other coils, carbs, and cooling system. The person that sold me my 1993 talked about how there was something wrong with the piston skirting on that one so he put new Pistons in it. Should I consider looking internally soon?

Any ideas are appreciated!

If it's the stator...

Hammer Down, you are not the first person to mention the stator theory. If I run out of options with my remaining checks and double checks, what can I do with my current stator? Attempt to replace and rebuild with part still being made, replace with a salvage yard model? Clean up current connections and parts?

I've said that I've tried other coils but maybe I misspoke. I've tried swapping the unit the plug wires come off of.

I need to get onto ExciterSX and make a profile but can never see the full confirmation code image on my iPad to get registered. I picked up an SX two days ago and something's wrong with it from test drive to transit to dead in my yard!

I got onto EXSX.com and made a profile. I took my 93 st/SX on a trail ride today. It lost power like my 1990 Exciter does and died on the trail. When I tried pulling it over, the recoil spring broke I believe. It won't wind up and sounds like there are parts jingling around. I wrapped the primary with rope and was able to start the machine and it literally took off just fine. Three more times on the ride it bogged completely and came to a stop. It's acting just like my 1990 now with the exception that after the power loss, the 93 long track mod usually dies. While limping it home it sounded good but felt like 3/4 throttle was barely moving the sled. I'm puzzled as this as this one has been a reliable to date(still premixing 50-1 Amsoil interceptor). I needs to learn about first time flat slide carb dissasembly and cleaning/tuning. I got a new/used airbox yesterday for it as mine is missing screen upper section and box is cracked all over. Probably a good time time install it and check carbs.

I was able to get the new SX started today. I pulled on it for a long time watching fuel spit out of the cylinders. Finally with starting fluid it fired and ran well enough for me to get out on it. After a few hot laps, that one bogged down and left me powerless in the middle of a field. I can turn the fuel valve off and the machine runs for an unusually long time. It seems very rich and the issue can be ran out when the track is lifted. A friend looped or disconnected the TORS on it today and it started popping somewhat and just firing oddly. He reconnected it. The exhaust pipes were tapped and a previous owner monitored exhaust temps I reckon. With that I would think his jetting was correct but I'll soon find out. I can tell the machine still has nice power from today's test driving and compression looks good but when I saw fuel coming out of the exhaust after it died unloading from the truck the day I bought it I wondered about carb problems.

No new progress with my 1990 EX570EP. It HAS used a lot of fuel in my trouble shooting and trials, now using fresh fuel as I've gone through a full tank trying to diagnose the problem. I'm 0 for 3 on Exciters right now. I love them and won't give up them so I want to fix them myself.

New o rings will fix your issue with the SX. I bet the needle and seats are leaking on the 90 or you have a jetting, float or choke issue.

Carb questions

Throttle Junkie35,

Concerning my two SX issues...

image.jpg

Which part # for my SX's are you suspecting and should I be looking at replacing? Is it #10?

And in regards to my 1990 issues...

image.jpg

What parts #s are you referring to by needle and seats? #23 needle valve assembly or #44 needle and something else?

Thanks!

The part for your sx's is 15. 8F2-14147-00-00. One thing you may want to check is the main jets on your 90. I had an 88 here yesterday that was doing the same thing as what you said your 90 was doing. Some one must have been overly aggressive cleaning the mains and enlarged the hole. I put new mains in it and she runs like a top.

Back