Ceramic coating powerband effects

99VX700

I had my Bender triple pipes coated and am wondering about peak HP RPM. Normally these pipes work at 8500rpm on 700 non-power-valved triples. Some say the coating moves that up. Some say it moves down. All I know is I thought I was over-revving at 8900-9000, but I was faster than a whole bunch of bigger, newer iron on GPS speed tracking. I was also quicker for most of the lake, but some of that may be due to new 1" track and new studs. I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth here, but I thought I was giving away HP above 8500 or so. I know once clutches are at 1:1, an RPM increase over peak HP RPM will increase track speed and thus top speed, but pinning it at peak HP RPM is needed to get there quickest. Am I actually overreving, or is it possible I'm closer to my peak than I thought due to the coating? Also, I always assume my tach runs about 125rpm high.

I owned 2 Bender piped 700,s..1 had ceramic coated the other did not. They ran the same & had the same sweet spot but the one with coating warmed up faster.

My CPR/Haucks which are ceramic coated take A LOT longer to warm up than my set of painted Aaen's did, but the wall thickness of the Simon's is a lot greater than the walls of the Aaen's, which is probably where the difference comes in. The CPR's may also be tuned to require higher pipe temps before the scavenging becomes efficient, as they supposedly make quite a bit more top end power than the Aaen's.

Thanks, guys. Sounds to me like the coating doesn't really affect RPM much, so I'll work on making it stick longer at 8500. This site is like the Bible if you wear blue underwear.

Back