1999 Yamaha Venture Start Motor Removal - Help

happyhab

Well, the PO installed a new 'made in china' starter and it will not throw the bendix out to engage the ring gear. I have hooked and automotive battery directly to the power lead and bypassed the solenoid and all it does is spin. If I engage the bendix to the ring gear, it definitely has the power to crank the engine over. So it appears to be somewhat functional, but just does not throw out the bendix. And, it's not seized at all. I've even tried soaking it with penetrating fluid, but no luck.

What I'm wondering is if there is a post on removing the start motor as it seems to be really buried, especially the bolt at the bottom near the primary. Almost looks like you pretty much have to pull the primary off to get at it.

Is there any advice or another thread (search turned up nothing) you can point me too?

Thanks

You need to remove your primary clutch to remove the starter. It's a complete pain, but with a little patience you'll get her out. The starter will "just" slide out from the clutch side.

Thank you....I was afraid of that, but will purchase or borrow a clutch tool and go from there. Thanks

Back