1999 Yamaha Venture 700 - Economical Studding Options Help?

happyhab

My Venture has a Kimpex Aggressor track on it with about 2000 kms. The 1" ribbon style lug is worn down to 7/8"

I am wondering what a lower-cost studding option would be?

I'm just doing a little bit of local trail riding and trail conditions are sketchy at best so I want a little bit of a handling and stopping upgrade when I'm riding in icier conditions.

Would appreciate any info on product brand/type, length, quantity, patterns, etc.

Thanks

I have a 2002 Venture 700 with OEM track. The PO had studs installed by a local dealer, and no protection. After I got the sled, I saw some scratches in the tunnel. I removed all the studs, but have since added tunnel and front heat exchanger protection. I still haven't re-installed the studs.

With the cost of studs and protection, have you considered a different track? Vincent, in his thread "My New Toy" installed a new track and seems very happy without studs.

Unless I bought a track with builtin studs, I think I need something. I'll be riding with my kids and would never be able to forgive myself if I couldn't stop or avoid peril of some kind because I was willing to stud my track. My tunnel has aluminum tubing on the inside that should protect it from the studs as long as they are relatively close to it I would think. If in the center though, they might still be able to flex upwards and make contact.

Just be aware of your forward radiator. Without stud protectors for it, you'll need to keep a very close eye on your track tension. It doesn't take much to damage it. My rad has damage from the PO using small 7/8 studs with the original 3/4 lug track. Even have scratches on the inside of my tunnel, and it has tunnel protectors!

Attachments

• DSC_1029.jpg
    DSC_1029.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Back