97 600 Deluxe - Starter

YammyNER

Searched and couldn't find.

Need to replace the starter, was told while I was buying that it "just slides out from under the exhaust". I'm sure that was just selling talk.... Read some about other models need to pull the clutch off?!?! Yikes... I don't have a clutch tool. Hoping just remove the exhaust springs and take the exhaust off, 2 bolts for the starter and replace? Is there an online service manual I can find for this?

Got 12-14" of fresh power last night...10 acres and the NH Snow trail goes through a corner of the property so I had a LOT of fun last night. Need to get a snow helmet though, forgot how near impossible it is to see when it's still snowing hard and riding.

While I'm at it, what oil does everyone use? (ducks and covers)

IMG_6384.jpgIMG_6381.jpg

Last edited:

There are three bolts. The one at the bottom clutch side of the starter is the worst. You'll only see it with the clutch removed.

I've never removed my exhaust manifold so I can't comment on that method.

Last edited:
Thanks. Haven't looked more into this yet. The sled came with it so I want all intact. Starts after sitting a few days with 2 pulls and I think the pull rope broke as it's a very very short pull, so 2 short pulls and it fires right up. How many of you would bother replacing the electric knowing that? I'll be replacing the rope for a full pull later, seen some videos on it and looks extremely easy to do.

Thanks. Haven't looked more into this yet. The sled came with it so I want all intact. Starts after sitting a few days with 2 pulls and I think the pull rope broke as it's a very very short pull, so 2 short pulls and it fires right up. How many of you would bother replacing the electric knowing that? I'll be replacing the rope for a full pull later, seen some videos on it and looks extremely easy to do.

My starter failed to, so I just removed it and the ring grear. My snowmobile is like yours always starts very well so pull cord is fine.. I did replaced my rope with a fresh one. Bit hard to pull over in -25c first thing in the morning , but I'm ok with that. No regrets.

Last edited:
You can do it by removing exhaust. You may be able to get at the bottom bolt that is blocked by clutch by loosening motor mounts and lifting front of engine. It's tight but can be done.

Back