Bought an old viper.

Youllbe2nd

Hey guys. Got this 02 cheap actually in nice shape with lots of good mods but the top end was removed because of a blown piston. It sat out side since September with no top on the motor and I got it home yesterday. The bottom end was never protected and it filled with water and froze solid. Got it thawed out and rolling but she's pretty lumpy feeling. Also pretty muddy inside the case and some rusty shmigga on the crank. All in all it doesn't look terrible. Wondering if I can clean the bottom end with removing everything. Maybe fill the case with premix and let sit. Then work it a bit and suck all dry with a shop vac. At least do this a few times and see where it gets me? Opinions? Maybe it's pooched...Can't decide. I worked on this thing last year and the crank was mint rolling beautiful. Now it's feeling rough...what to do haha

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

been my finding that it will likely self destruct in short order once the crank bearings get rust in them, you cant remove the pits and likely will end up costing you a lot more to redo the engine again after it lets go. I would find another crank.

Ha! I just needed someone to tell me ...Lol no worries

btw- you likely already know this but you can also use a srx crank in it, will interchange just fine, opens up some sourcing a used crank. if its a 98-99 crank you can use the newer outside bearings on them(2000-02) or any year viper 700 and will fit.

Ya that's great thanks. Actually was gunna ask about what years SRX cranks will work. Wasn't there a bad year for SRX ? 98?

98-99 were not factory welded but they can be welded, usually you can get a crank trued and welded for about $125, once done they are every bit as good as a 2000-02. Yamaha only welded the conn. rod pins on the 2000-02 srx and all vipers. When you get a crank done they will usually weld both the conn. rod pins and center pins which is better then stock. 98-99 cranks usually go cheap because of this.

Ok so is this viper crank not rebuilable because of the pitting? I have a good crank guy up here. Be around 300$ for a fully done unit if I give him my core. I'll see what's in it. Maybe the guy before me had this one welded. Maybe worth rebuilding it...Rather have new parts in there then a used crank.

no, its rebuildable just like the srx crank is, its just that some of the bearings and parts for the cranks are getting discontinued from Yamaha, and highly expensive anyways, so that's why I said just get a good used one. If your guy can do up a crank for $300 for you better jump on that!

That stinks about the discontinued parts. My crack was rebuilt by Midwest crank last spring. $480 for everything, top to bottom. Including shipping to NH. Give them a call!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well...This is proving to be a crap shoot. I can't get bearings. Even from the aftermarket. I found a 99 srx crank that needs an outer bearing. Assuming it needs both in order to work in the viper. Also found a viper crank that needs a rod which luckily I can get aftermarket. Both are cheap but really? These cranks are like gold! I had no idea it was this hard to do a SRX/viper crank. Thinking about grabbing both cranks and stealing the viper outer bearings and using them on the 99 crank maybe to save some labour cost. Thoughts?

did you try calling midwest crank? he had no issues getting mine totally done last spring
No I'm shopping around here. With shipping and exchange I can't afford Midwest. I'll figure something out

You in Canada? With shipping I was $485. I'm in the states. And mine was down 5 years while I got the cash together for everything, so I feel you on what's affordable! Good luck!

You in Canada? With shipping I was $485. I'm in the states. And mine was down 5 years while I got the cash together for everything, so I feel you on what's affordable! Good luck!

Yes in canada.

Back