88 Phazer I got for a case of Cold Ones question

STEERJOCK

On any of my old sleds I've always wanted to take the air box out for ease of working on cards/fuel pump/and anything it hides n put a little filter on each carb. A few years ago my local parts dealer said the air flow wouldn't be right if I did it, is there any truth to that? Or can a guy do it n it be fine? Figured I only got a case of Coors in the sled so not like I'm out much if she blew up haha.....Any help or ideas be appreciated

Your carbs are calibrated to work with the air box installed. Removing it usually creates a lean condition so you'll need to rejet richer to compensate.

Also when your moving under hood pressure/temp (hot air when stopped) changes making jetting difficult.

That's kinda what I was figuring, just thought I'd ask after getting pissed at my brother's exciters airbox a few weeks ago when the fuel lines at the pump cracked....Mainly wanted this phazer for my nieces/nephews to ride vs crashing our newer sleds haha....Thanks again

If you remove the secondary pulley, it is a piece of cake to remove the airbox. The jackshaft splines where the pulley rides need to be greased periodically anyway, so it may as well come off to do that when you need to take the airbox off. Another thing that can be done then is shimming the pulley to match the belt width.

Back