Super nervous about PV adjustment :(

nick5oh

I've gotten so many different instructions on this site from different threads and the tech section as well as the shop manual lol!

I think I have just done things in the wrong order, I got frustrated and stopped after one cable cause I'm paranoid! Also due to the fact that it is now set way way different than before. Not sure if they were set correct before though so another variable.

Anyways. When I removed the valves I had played with the servo motor to free up cable room. Cleaned em yada yada and then reinstalled.

Tonight I chose the power up the servo motor method due to quiet neighborhood, sleeping baby son, etc etc I know I'm lame lol. When I first powered the servo up the shaft rotated to close the valves at first? Clockwise. I thought it was weird, I then did it again and it rotated counter clockwise and opened them I believe??? I had the 2.5 mm Allen keys between the 2 bolt cover and the 4 bolt cover already which I believe was my mistake, and then the servo motor started twitching so I removed my jumper wires. I then loosened the lock nuts and adjusted the adjusters all the way in for slack on all 3 cables. I then activated the servo again and it bottomed out without twitching. I turned it the opposite way (clockwise) for slack and then activated it again and it bottomed out again no twitching. I think at that point I'm ready to adjust but I think I made the mistake of having the Allen keys inbeteeen the covers first.

I think I need to follow this method which describes step by step and confirms my order of procedure was wrong. I'm just totally paranoid sorry guys:

http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmob...ng Power Valves/Setting Your Power Valves.htm

These pics are what I ended up with using what I believe was my incorrect method:
IMG_6250.jpg

I only setup cable 1(top). It is quite a bit different than where they were set. I had only about 4 threads showing on the shaft side of the servo assay, now a lot more since it's all the way in.

Thanks in advance for all the help and sorry for the ramble post.

So I ended up going back to the garage for a late night wrench session.
Activated servo with 12volts, it bottomed out no twitching. Adjusters all the way in. I then loosened the two Allen screws for the PV cover, then slowly turned adjusters out til I had 2.5 mm roughly. The Allen keys slid in and out nicely with no real drag between the 2 PV housings/covers. I then locked the lock nuts and tightened up the PV coversZ I think I got it right and my adjusters are set close to where they were originally. But again I'm not sure they were correct and hoping that they are now.
We will ride this weekend and see. Just to add. I actuated the servo and no twitching so I assume this means the cables aren't too tight?

Correct, nice job. Sounds like you got it right. only thing i do different is to loosen the cables all the way then tighten to get the 2.5mm gap with alan wrench.

Back