Finally buying a 2001 SRX 700.. But have a few questions first!

comatoast

Well I ended up selling the very first sled I ever bought a few days ago, a 97 sx700, And I really almost regret it.. Not that it was the most amazing thing in the world, but just that I owned it for so long, and it was always a good sled for me, and took me on many long trips without issue.. I decided to sell, because I'm looking at picking up a 40th LTX apex , or a 2011 se apex to pair with my 2011 nytro xtx so me and the girlfriend can just head to the trail whenever we want, and just have something a little newer, fuel efficient, reliable etc. Love the ( lack there of ) maintenance on the nytro, and the apex looks to be the same way for the most part. But There will always be love for the 2 smokes.. Thats where I came from, and learned how to ride on.. Call me crazy , but I like the smell too :D

which brings me to the SRX.... I've wanted one since about 99-2000, and now that I have the means , and the prices are down, I'd love to find a nice 01 ( as it seems to be the favorite amongst many ) But just had a few questions, I didn't really see alot of answers to while searching.

Is the suspension any better than my sx 700

Any weird or quirky issues on the 2001+ SRXs

What seems to be the best track for hooking up on the trails , since I'm assuming the stock .91 isn't too great

What should I look for on the sled if I'm going to look at one ( anything specific, other than the basics )

What should compression be, and when should you start thinking about a top end/gasket rebuild

Good ( best bang for the buck / most worth while mods to maybe open it up just that little bit )

I'm sure I'll think of more when I get time, But like I said, I would love to finally have one of these sleds, but just want to be aware of what I'm getting into!

Here are a few that I found within an hour or so of me. We don't have a much of a selection, but the first one I will like for $2495 seems to be pretty clean and the best of the two, So let me know what you guys think, and Thank You in advance!!

Matt

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/snw/5937481477.html

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/snw/5923369855.html

suspension is pretty much the same except I think the srx has less travel. A better skid is a huge improvement. I like my 1" hacksaw track. Hooks up pretty good in the trails. Compression should be around 120-125 depending on the gauge used. Clutching is the best bang for the buck improvement along with getting the skid to hookup. The one for 2495 looks really clean and appears to be well taken care of. Cleaning and properly adjusting the powervalves is really important. Any from 00-02 would be great in my opinion. The only thing I don't like about the 2000 is the handwarmer and thumb warmer adjustment is on one dial. The 02 has dcs which from everything I have read is no problem as long as it is jetted properly. Usually people run 01 jetting in them.

SX and SRX have the same amount of travel, both suspensions are pretty much the same so the srx will ride like the sx. Most 1" tracks work well on an SRX, if you have a good track and adjustable transfer rods you should never need studs, unless you ride mostly on ice. The first one you posted with the lower miles looks really nice. Nice clean srx's are getting hard to find these days, a lot of them got wrecked or parted out. I get sick when I see someone parting out a nice srx!

I have a 98 vmax 700 xtc and a 00 Srx 700 there is definitely more power from the SRX it will put a big smile on your face every time you pin it! I would definitely ask if the power-valves have been serviced if theirs pull troughs they will have to be sent out to be fixed. If you find one and start it up and the information light is blinking like crazy this would be an indication something is wrong with them either stuck or a pull through. I have a 2000 and when I bought it I ran into this 2 of my valves were pulled though and i had to send them out and get them fixed. Love the machine wicked fast I run an MBRP can on it they say you loose horse power by doing this I don't notice it at all sounds nasty. And I run mild Hauck Clutching and it awesome love the machine!

Depending how far you want to get into it there a few things you can do, clutching and gearing down a tooth will wake this baby up big time. SRX motor loves to be loaded up for weights in the clutch and just keeps pulling. Tons of info on clutching on here. We use to do a "powerup kit" here which was drill out the piston port a little larger, cut the upper shelf in the airbox larger and jet one or two sizes up. Put a 1" hacksaw on for a track, you won't be disappointed. Check power valves regularly.

Side note, the first sled is the tunnel tweaked a bit or is that just me?

Depending how far you want to get into it there a few things you can do, clutching and gearing down a tooth will wake this baby up big time. SRX motor loves to be loaded up for weights in the clutch and just keeps pulling. Tons of info on clutching on here. We use to do a "powerup kit" here which was drill out the piston port a little larger, cut the upper shelf in the airbox larger and jet one or two sizes up. Put a 1" hacksaw on for a track, you won't be disappointed. Check power valves regularly.

Side note, the first sled is the tunnel tweaked a bit or is that just me?

You talking about the pic from the rear, where the tunnel meets the bellypan.. right side? if so I thought the same thing , haha

Back