srx not enjoying deep snow engine starts running like chokes on sometimes

700srxrob

Hey guys my 98 srx was acting up today when i was playing in 2 or 3 feet of fresh powder it's got the 136 ripsaw 1.25 but it just takes on so much snow with all those vents and it being so low in the front and a heavy tank so I'm not sure if snow was getting in air box or what but it runs good for a wile then it will be running like chokes on so I go slow for a bit and it's almost like someothinf drys out then it's good for a wile again this only happens in deep snow anyone have this issue ? Should I block some vents or just get some nice wide skis or maby some viper spindles to raise it . Let me no thnx !!

its all the snow getting in on the pipes and cooling them off, likely also getting excessive snowdust on the air intake filter. if your gonna ride a lot in that stuff youll need to block off some the vents.

the wider skis and viper spindle/trailing arm set up will help keep the front higher from the snow surface

I put a water repellent screen that goes over top of your air box that came from outerwears performance products for 25$ it made a big difference on my viper

I had one of those outerwear things too. What we found to make the biggest difference was adding little intake vents above the airbox through the cowl behind the windshield. Sort of a cold air intake. Did three of them this way that all lived in as deep of snow as we could find and never had a problem with the bog after.

Last edited:
are your carbs just frosting up? did you turn your carb heaters on? yes as mentioned above you need to use your block off plates that should be under the hood to prevent snow from coming in

Does it happen when turning to the left in deep snow.

I noticed on my SRX in deep snow the snow actually restricts flow out the silencer causing a rich bog. When turning to the right and getting the right ski out of the snow a little it runs fine.
You may want to try a larger deflector for the bottom of the tunnel, being a short travel sled you may also rip it off .....

Back