Need help with gettin 02 SRX in tip top shape! :) NOOB!

mustangmatt

Hey Guys! I love the forum I have been lurking both as a non member and now a member for some time. I did quite a few searches and found out how to clean the carbs from a different thread. This thing is FAST! I also have an 07 apex and feel like the SRX is way faster. Anywho. I have some issues that I need to take care of and was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

Both the speedometer and the tach are not working. I havent been able to find much if there are easy fixes or what I should try first for them.
I also would like to wire in an electric shield.
The temp light blinks 3 times on start up and I am not sure if that means anything.
Also I have what I believe are stinger exhaust pipes and wondering if I am going to get pulled over a lot. I like how loud they are but im wondering if people riding with me or the police wouldn't care for them, what should I do with that exhaust?
Lastly I am pretty hefty at 250# and I am trying to lose weight haha! But wondering if there are anythings I can do to the suspension. I think at the most I would ever get down to weight wise would be 200-210 but that wont happen before the season is over.
I haven't had sleds in like 15 years and just also wondering if there is anything I should be looking over at all?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Exhaust can be a tricky one, if you ride in isolation like the mountains or the arrowhead, you prolly have no worries. "• No snowmobile shall be modified by any person in any manner that shall amplify or otherwise increase total noise level above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally equipped, regardless of date of manufacture." http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/snowmobile/snowmobileregs.pdf page 18 towards the bottom.
Here is the tech section on suspension's http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/TechIndex/SUSPENSION.html I also have an sxr skid with rebuildable shocks, the sxr has more travel and both shocks are rebuildable on this skid along with quick adjust transfer rods.
I am in Stacy if you want to stop by and pick my brain or checkout this skid.
Spedo not working could be a toasted speedo bearing on the drive shaft or broke key or cable or binding.

Welcome to the forum...

Speedometer is mechanical, the key is most likely snapped off down by the bearing assembly. Easy fix.

Tach not working could be a rub thru in the wiring harness, that's where I'd start first.

3 blinks at startup is the "All's Good" sign.

Remove the stinger exhaust, your loosing performance. The stock muffler flows fine, just heavier.

As for the weight issue, there's not much you can do for drastically reducing weight on these. You could swap in a different rear suspension that is lighter than the stock stuff I guess.

Exhaust can be a tricky one, if you ride in isolation like the mountains or the arrowhead, you prolly have no worries. "• No snowmobile shall be modified by any person in any manner that shall amplify or otherwise increase total noise level above that emitted by the snowmobile as originally equipped, regardless of date of manufacture." http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/snowmobile/snowmobileregs.pdf page 18 towards the bottom.
Here is the tech section on suspension's http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/TechIndex/SUSPENSION.html I also have an sxr skid with rebuildable shocks, the sxr has more travel and both shocks are rebuildable on this skid along with quick adjust transfer rods.
I am in Stacy if you want to stop by and pick my brain or checkout this skid.
Spedo not working could be a toasted speedo bearing on the drive shaft or broke key or cable or binding.

I plan on riding up north a bit more, I have wanted to ride in the arrowhead region. I used to ride in the west metro all the time but living in Blaine doesnt make sense to go there anymore. Awesome thanks for the link! I will definitely take you up on that! I am hoping its something simple like that.

Welcome to the forum...

Speedometer is mechanical, the key is most likely snapped off down by the bearing assembly. Easy fix.

Tach not working could be a rub thru in the wiring harness, that's where I'd start first.

3 blinks at startup is the "All's Good" sign.

Remove the stinger exhaust, your loosing performance. The stock muffler flows fine, just heavier.

As for the weight issue, there's not much you can do for drastically reducing weight on these. You could swap in a different rear suspension that is lighter than the stock stuff I guess.

Thank you!!!!

Ok I'll start at the top and work my way down. Would be nice to know how fast i am going! ha!
Same thing work my way down from the top...
Ok phewww!!! I read somewhere else on the forum here about engine lights so I thought I was in trouble hahah!
Really? He had an 00 SRX with stock exhaust and this thing just flew by it like it wasnt even there. I've been on quite a few sleds including an RX-1 and Apex and this thing just feels wayyy faster... *shrugs* I will try it out though I would rather not get pulled over but I love the sound. Do I HAVE to REJET???!!!
haha No I dont want to lighten the suspension. I am just FAT haha! I want to know if there is anything I can do to beef it up for a big boy like me! :D Thanks!

Alot of times when the speedo quits working its a good sign you have a bad bearing. be sure to inspect it when you pull it apart to look at the key

You are above average size so revalving your shocked and dialing your springs up to the highest setting is a good idea. The bearing he is speaking is behind where the speedo goes.

What do you mean by the bearing? Do you have a link to anything for that?

He means as the bearing get old, dry, worn, sloppy etc... The delicate little square key that connects your speedo assembly to your driveshaft will fail first. Basically In some situations it's indicates a potential looming bearing failure.

Last edited:
the speedo drive will be underneath your secondary clutch. take that off and you will see your driveshaft and bearing. if the key is good and the drive works than it will be the cable or the cluster itself.

OK guys had a bit of time to work on it tonight. I noticed that when I have the hood up I have a extra light bulb that does the 3 blinks besides the one that is already in the cluster, is that supposed to be there? It has its own little harness and everything! So I have a dash light on the speedometer side when running, I pulled the windshield and entire cluster off and swapped out the bulb I still have nothing at all on the tach side. No light no tach, nothing! Put the bulb back on the speedo side and it lit back up. I pulled the harness all the way down to the motor inspecting it for a frayed wire as suggested and still couldn't find anything at all. I was thinking bad gauge but the dash light for it won't even light up so it has to be in the harness I would assume? I didn't have time to pull the bottom of the the speed off by the secondary Clutch but I did get it off at the speedometer. I spun the cable seemed OK but I could hear it down at the clutch pretty good so maybe it's a bad bearing like it was suggested. I'm going to dig into it more tomorrow night and Saturday. Thanks!

The light means your peged,, back off throttle, to lean......If for any reason your speedo dosen't work,,, bad bearing, unless it wasn,t tight...........Inspect cables running under engine again for tack.... SCIII skid for less weight, more speed, and much better ride................. what a ride it will be.............

OK guys had a bit of time to work on it tonight. I noticed that when I have the hood up I have a extra light bulb that does the 3 blinks besides the one that is already in the cluster, is that supposed to be there? It has its own little harness and everything! So I have a dash light on the speedometer side when running, I pulled the windshield and entire cluster off and swapped out the bulb I still have nothing at all on the tach side. No light no tach, nothing! Put the bulb back on the speedo side and it lit back up. I pulled the harness all the way down to the motor inspecting it for a frayed wire as suggested and still couldn't find anything at all. I was thinking bad gauge but the dash light for it won't even light up so it has to be in the harness I would assume? I didn't have time to pull the bottom of the the speed off by the secondary Clutch but I did get it off at the speedometer. I spun the cable seemed OK but I could hear it down at the clutch pretty good so maybe it's a bad bearing like it was suggested. I'm going to dig into it more tomorrow night and Saturday. Thanks!

The only sure way to inspect the harness is to remove it. Search Mr. Viper's write up about removing, inspecting and repairing. It's the harness that runs under the motor and is typically rubbed through at the standoff tabs or from contact with the belly pan.

If you could spin the cable at the speedo end, either the cable inside is snapped or most likely the key is broken. As others have said, the most likely cause is lateral movement of the drive shaft due to a failed bearing.

Another overlooked component is the W arm (front swing arm) of the rear suspension cracking which is due to poor OEM bushings. If the skid has never been out, you have some work ahead of you. You'll find all the info you need by searching BeTheViper write up. Enjoy!

BUMP!

I'll Post some pics later, but I pulled the lower part of the cable and the 90* thing off. There was no key in there?!!? :dunno: Also there was some really old looking grease in there should I re-grease that thing at all? I spun the speedo, and the cable, and the 90 all seem to spin fine but maybe could use some lube. Any recommendations on lubing that stuff up? WD 40 ok? Still have not found out what the hell is up with the TACH.

Do I have to pretty much pull the engine out to inspect this harness and make the repair?!??

OK finally got the key and went to put it back together... And it wont! Pretty sure part of the key is stuck in the shaft! Any ideas how to get it out???

yup....small drill bit, don't remember what size I used. Just kept drilling till I got it all out of there. You have to be careful not to damage the insert that goes into the shaft.

BUMP! Still working on some stuff but getting closer! I had it in the garage to pull the carbs off it and clean them. I am REALLY thankful that sites like this are still around! I haven't posted a lot but I am sure there are a lot of others like me out there, I used to post in forums like this all the time. Facebook is the amazon of these things its a real shame. Anywho. Still have no speedo, no tach, and the one dash light for the gauge keeps coming on and off(back light not the temp light). I did manage to find a new Throttle Position Sensor and it cured my Flashing code and the sled runs WAYYY better now! Going to finally tear into the harness or try to anyways. Does anyone happen to have the link to the Mr. Viper Writeup that was posted some time ago? Thanks again fellas!

Back