vmax 600 triple still leaking coolant

drew24

Hey guys, 02 vmax 600 redhead was leaking coolant from under the water pump so I changed the seals and it is still leaking. I did notice a little scratch in the housing where the seal fits but it looked like the sealant on the seal would fill it no problem. I also changed the seal washer on the bolt. I see some people are using Loctite on the impeller splines which I didn't do. Is it a good possibility it is leaking past the seal washer or should I change the mechanical seal again and put something on the scratch to help it seal? This is my first time messing with a mechanical seal and I am not sure how much of a scratch the sealant on it would fill. The new seal went in with no problems. Any have any experiences with this? I did a bunch of searching and found quite a few times where it still leaked after new seals.

I had a skidoo and had to replace the Pistons. I did not realize that when I cleaned the surface I did so with a wiz wheel. Big mistake. I ended up having the head shaved to stop the coolant from leaking in. So my guess is that the scratch is what might be causing the leak. Just enough of a weak spot for the coolant to work its way passed.

That's pretty much what I am thinking. I should have put some sealant on the scratch just to be safe. I am thinking someone was in this motor before and that's where the scratch came from and probably why it was leaking in the first place. Everything came apart too easy and was way too clean for it to be untouched. Not a lick of the normal corrosion I have seen around the o ring. Thanks for the info.

Back