03 yamaha sx viper 700

Im not ruling out the stator but seems like everyone that has stator problems it doesn't effect the engine performance just all the other electronic components? Im running on 2 cylinders regardless if hand warmers and such are on or off.

Things i have done,

1) Clean and inspect power valves (all looks good, slightly black but little to no carbon)
2) Replaced plugs.
3) New belt.
4) Swapped coil with middle one (still dead on clutch side)
5) Flushed fuel tank and inspected fuel inlet screen (seems all good, refilled with fresh high test)
6) Cleaned carbs
7) Visally checked most wires for grounding issue, (none found)
8) Compression test
(120×120×110)
9) checked reeds ( look good and clean)

Yes the cables were moving when i was inspecting the actuator. What kind of puller do i need to get the flywheel off? And do i just clean it with sos pad and cleaner?

Final update!! I have now put on over 700 km on my viper without a hiccup, the issue was in the carbs. Plugged screens under the needle and seat and one pluged pilot jet on the pto side that was causing that cylinder to die at idle. Thank you everyone for your assistance, it was greatly appreciated.

I had my screens block before make sure u check that your filter in the tank if there mine was snapped off and sucking dirt from tank ����

I had my screens block before make sure u check that your filter in the tank if there mine was snapped off and sucking dirt from tank 👍🏻

Thank you, yes i actually replaced it just to be sure because what came out of the pilot jet the second time i cleaned it looked like a fibrous material (like the filter breaking down)

The only issue i have with it right now is a fair bit of idle hang, especially when i have been cruising slowly, it will actually idel up after i have let go of the throttle and rev from 2 grand up to 4 untill the cluch starts to engage then idle back down to 1800 were it is set. Tonight i took off the carbs again and cleaned + re-set the fuel screw to 2 turns out, raised the main needle to 4th notch down both washers on top thinking it was from running lean. This did help with the hard "warm"starts but not with the idle up on its own after i let off. It doesnt apear to have any tears in the boots or anything so yet again i am baffled with my viper. Anyone have any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The only issue i have with it right now is a fair bit of idle hang, especially when i have been cruising slowly, it will actually idel up after i have let go of the throttle and rev from 2 grand up to 4 untill the cluch starts to engage then idle back down to 1800 were it is set. Tonight i took off the carbs again and cleaned + re-set the fuel screw to 2 turns out, raised the main needle to 4th notch down both washers on top thinking it was from running lean. This did help with the hard "warm"starts but not with the idle up on its own after i let off. It doesnt apear to have any tears in the boots or anything so yet again i am baffled with my viper. Anyone have any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
When the idol hangs, try flipping the fuel enricher (choke). If the idol goes down you are running a lean idol. Most common cause is partially blocked pilot jet. In this case you need to take out the jets and get very thin wire and run it through them. You can use guitar string or strip some stranded automotive wire. You can also kink the wire to scrape the inside of the pilot jets. If the idol still hangs after a good cleaning, turn the fuel screw out in quarter turn increments, but not more then 2.5 turns out. I have also read that there is an O ring that dries out behind the fuel screw.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back