Swapping crank cases

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Hypothetical speaking,if one were to swap cases from a '98 SRX to those of a Viper/ SRX (00-02),would one have to change the end crank bearings too or can one use the original 2 piece end bearing?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

In my experience, the end bearings on the older SRX's use a steel dowel to hold the outer race in the crankcase, while the Viper does not. I'm not sure if it would be compatible if you used the Viper bearings or not. There might be other differences as well.

you can install a 98-99 srx crank into viper cases but you must use the viper end bearings. The other problem is the ign. pick up is located in a different spot then that of a 98-99 srx so that part wont work as the 98-99 flywheel is too big and hit the ign pick up coil. Not sure what your trying to do but theres more to the swap then just the bearings.

I've already swapped the ignition over from the stock mag to the 300 watt one using and '01 SXR flywheel,been running it like that for a couple years now.I have just noticed that my '01 seems to rev quicker than my '98 with the converted setup and I was attributing that to the lighter flywheel and I figured I might just change the cases,or at least the lower half with the pick up mount,to that of a '00-'02 SRX or Viper so I could mount the lighter flywheel.I was just wondering about the newer engines using the wider end bearings and if the 2 piece ones would work.

the cases are matched set, you shouldn't change the lower to the different upper as they are align bored, so you could get incorrect bearing crush, or improperly aligned crankshaft holes if mixed and not matched. If you look on the end of the cases youll see a engraved 3 digit code on pto end, that means those two halves match when they were machined, each set will be a different code or number letter set.

Back