Modding the stock SRX muffler to fit with reverse

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I've had reverse on my '98 SRX for about 15 years now and I bought an MBRP can to put on around the same time because it was smaller and fit better with the wider reverse chaincase cover.I've been thinking lately that I might put the stock muffler back on but it will need to be cut and narrowed a bit so it sits away from the bellypan better.It will fit as it is but it just gets shifted a little too close to the bellypan for my liking when connected to the pipes.If the back side of the muffler was dished out a bit more so it tucked into the chaincase and it sat in the natural position,that would be what I am shooting for.My question is can the muffler be cut and narrowed on the back side without messing up the flow of the exhaust through it?Has anyone done this and could they get some pics of the work?

Not sure if you have done this to your sled or not but, if memory serves, there is a rubber stop/bumper on the chain case cover that can be cut down and elongating the rear mount allows the stock muffler to fit properly.

I'll have to look at the rubber stop again,it's been years since I tried fitting the stock muffler on the sled.

I wish I had seen the parking brake mode before cutting the cab for the lever,but that lever and bracket isn't the issue anyway,it's the extra width of the outer case.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

bringing this to the top.
I am doing the same mod on a 2001 SRX. the MBRP can is not fitting they way I would like it and I think the stock silencer would fit better if dished on the back.
Did you do the mod on the stock silencer?

Back