700 triple sputtering ?

Vector88

i have a venture 700 triple I recently picked up. When driving it 0-40 kph the engine purs like a kitten but between 40 to 70 kph it sputters like I have to play with the throttle to clear it up. It sounds like it comes into a deep sputter or bog. Over 70kph is clears up again. My friend who has a 600 triple mountain max told me those nine are like that and it's very common. Do anyone know what I can do to get rid of the way it's acting? Carbs were cleaned very recently and were all adjusted. I'm new to those engine I've had sxviper 700 in the past and those engines wasn't like this. Any info would be great thank you.

Last edited:

Check to make sure the choke plungers on the carbs are closing all the way when the choke is lever if off. Maybe its adjusted to tight, or not lubed.

I'll look at the choke adjustment tonight and check if the choke clears it up. I found the proper term of what she's is doing. It burbles if that makes sense to anyone.

the needles may be too high - check the position of the clip and washers (top of carbs)

burble is usually caused by too much fuel and more commonly encountered at idle or low rpms

on a stock redhead engine, and stock I mean no airbox mods or peeled headgaskets, they had a burble and mid low speeds.You can remedy it easily by simply removing the plastic shim under the needle clip , leave metal clip in the stock 3 rd groove down from top, just put it(plastic shim) on top of the metal clip along with other plastic shim that's already on there and it will cure the burble on a STOCK sled. They were just a tad too rich on the needle settings stock.

on a stock redhead engine, and stock I mean no airbox mods or peeled headgaskets, they had a burble and mid low speeds.You can remedy it easily by simply removing the plastic shim under the needle clip , leave metal clip in the stock 3 rd groove down from top, just put it(plastic shim) on top of the metal clip along with other plastic shim that's already on there and it will cure the burble on a STOCK sled. They were just a tad too rich on the needle settings stock.

This sounds like the route I need to go. Can I do this without removing the carbs from the sled? My sled is completely stock has nothing done to airbox and engine wasn't ever touched. 9000 km on original engine.

This sounds like the route I need to go. Can I do this without removing the carbs from the sled? My sled is completely stock has nothing done to airbox and engine wasn't ever touched. 9000 km on original engine.

Yes you can adjust them without removing the carbs. I can attest, this little adjustment helps alot. When you get good at it, it takes about 10 min to adjust all three carb needles!

Last edited:
yes, I can do them while on a sled, but..... if you have NEVER adjusted the needles, I would suggest to take them off and do on a bench as if you drop the little screws or the shims down into the abyss of the engine bay...... you will create cuss words that you never knew.....lol

you will need a ballend 2.5mm allen wrench to do this, along with a phillips head screw driver. I belive someone even posted pics on how to do it on here.

It's my first time doing this. Would like a step by step procedure if you can help me out. I took the cap off the top and i see 2 small Allen bolts when I have the throttle held. Not sure how it comes apart. I'd rather wait to see what I do next before I proceed. Any instructions would be great. Thanks

So I got 1 of 3 done. Think I have the problem. 2 washers were under the needle clip. So I put the 2 washers back but on top of the clip. Hopefully this is my problem!

So I got 1 of 3 done. Think I have the problem. 2 washers were under the needle clip. So I put the 2 washers back but on top of the clip. Hopefully this is my problem!

having both shims under the metal clip is correct for stock. both shims under the clip in 3rd groove down is a true #3 spot setting for needles which is stock. I mistyped when I said it had 1 above and 1 below. I just removed the one shim below and put it up top, leaving the 1 shim under the metal clip, this leans it out slightly, it shouldn't be a problem if you took both out unless you ride in very cold temps, where if so put one back under clip.

Back