Cylinder deglazing

yamahaviper

Hey guys planning on refreshing my 04 yamaha viper this summer still runs great but it has 9800miles on it so I think it's time to put new rings in it but my question is about deglazing the cylinders since they are nic can I just simply use a regular hone or is there some special stones I should use thanks

A regular cylinder hone that you can buy from canadian tire or an auto zone is fine ya, just remember to use a lite lubricant, lol last top end I did I ended up using wd-40 on my SRX it turned out great. Bought it with a shaved head which I didn't know about but found out pretty quick when the compression was hovering around 150 when I put it back together.

I've always just Scotch brite and some hot soapy to break the glaze. As that nikasik coating shouldn't need any dressing.

True, I did start with scotch brite also but for piece of mind I switched to hone after comparing cylinders, maybe it was an illusion but the cross thatching was more apparent after a lite honing, not that the cross thatching will ever be worn away as they are nikasil coated. I believe honing provides a more consistent result.

A regular cylinder hone that you can buy from canadian tire or an auto zone is fine ya, just remember to use a lite lubricant, lol last top end I did I ended up using wd-40 on my SRX it turned out great. Bought it with a shaved head which I didn't know about but found out pretty quick when the compression was hovering around 150 when I put it back together.

I hone them all the time to clean up any glaze, rings seat right in when I'm done. just a quick clean up is all that's needed. I have used wd40 as well any very light lube will work. My hone uses 280 grit stones, works great!

Ditto on the honing, I use Greenlee cutting oil, and a very quick hone, rapid up and down motion.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back