SX700 carb cleaning

Biff1

I'm going to sell my 97 700sx (5000 miles on it) I had not rode them in 5 years. I had the carbs cleaned before its last ride then put them in storage. Fast forward 5 years. I got my wifes electric start phasar going with just new plugs (runs great) Now my SX700 triple about killed me trying to start it. If I squirt gas in each cylinder and put the plugs back it it would run for a bit but would dye off. Its almost as if its not getting gas through the carbs or something. (Yes i drained out the old gas and put fresh in on both sleds)

So I'm thinking I want to pull the cabs off and see whats going on. But I have never done it, in the past I just payed for it.

I looked at it and its got a large air box bolted to the frame and some cables running on top of the air box.

I'm not sure how to go about taking the carbs off.

Is this something this is best left to the shop or can a rookie pull this off?

Anyone including you can remove and clean carbs. It's fare from rocket science. You do more complex tasks every day. Take it one step at a time. I do suggest you read the "Cleaning your carbs 101 with pix" on totallyamaha.com
Goodluck

Last edited:
Someone left me a private message but I don't have enough posts to reply. I have the sleds in Bath Michigan.

I build computers so I am farily mechanical but I'll admit I have never taken a carb off or cleaned one. I don't understand the jargon on them like float bowls, fuel screw vs main jet etc. When I looked in I saw like 6 diff tiny fuel lines running to them and was wondering if I have to pull all those off, do I need to buy new line etc.

What tools do I need, whats a common rookie mistake. How many turns do I twist the jets in? etc.

So so many steps to screw up and I don't know what I am doing "Yet"

I build computers so I am farily mechanical but I'll admit I have never taken a carb off or cleaned one. I don't understand the jargon on them like float bowls, fuel screw vs main jet etc. When I looked in I saw like 6 diff tiny fuel lines running to them and was wondering if I have to pull all those off, do I need to buy new line etc.

What tools do I need, whats a common rookie mistake. How many turns do I twist the jets in? etc.

Here is a pic of the carbs off ebay (this guy just cut all the hoses to get them off)

s-l1600.jpg

So so many steps to screw up and I don't know what I am doing "Yet"

What are those black hoses for? The clear ones look like fuel lines.

What are the steps to get the carbs off a SX700? It does not have heated carbs. Just a triple flat side carbs.
1. Throttle cables? or don't mess with them
2. Box
3. ??

Just a rough step by step on getting them off in proper order.

Take out air box. Take off throttle and choke cable. Unhook tors (bullet connectors between carb and harness). Remove rack from intake boots. All straight forward.

I just put them in the paper for 2400 or BO for the Phasar II and SX. The SX has a new track, skid pan, mountain max skis, windshield bag, suspension linkage adjustable by hand kit. Chrome coated pipe so no rust extra carbides.

I think the SX might have a gunked up fuel pump. We pumped gas into the carb intake boots and it ran fine for like a minute, even could rev it up but then it would just shut off as if its being starved of fuel. If the carbs were gunked it would not have run well off the gas we pumped into the carb intakes.

So I am starting to think somewhere between the tank and the carbs the gas is not getting through. I am thinking maybe the fuel pump is gunked up. Over the weekend might pull it apart and take apart the fuel pump. Are they rebuildable or cleanable?

The gas was 5 years old and even though I drained it, the gas in the fuel pump might be all varnish and buggered it up. What do you guys think?

- clogged fuel filter?
- clogged fuel pump?

How do you test the pump? I assume it works off the vacume of the motor so cant pull the line off it, or maybe could pull the line to 1 carb and pull to see if gas squirts out.

Last edited:

Back