04 sx venom 600 needs help !!

Martin Hall

Please help !!So I'm brand-new to owning a Yamaha snowmobile 04 Yamaha SXvenom ER 600 and I love the sled but I need som solid advice from someone who know Yamaha 2 stroke snowmobiles first problem the stock mid pipe is cracked and just junk I m a professional welder and I know it can be patched but won't last long so I whent to a snowmobile junk yard and got a pipe and silencer of a 03 sx viper it fits under the hood and I think I can make it work I just don't want to loose any more hp being it only makes 95hp has any one ever don this pipe swap and does it work ???? 2nd problem the Gage cluster is going bat shit the guy I got it off says it needs a the battery to support the Gage cluster and I almost believe it because it stabilizes at about 6000 rpms and I can see my fule gage and mph all works is there . I love the way this sled handles and it even rides good no it's not fast as my zrt 800 was but it's a trick little sled and I enjoy driving it I understand where Yamaha was going with this sled and I think they nailed it . Pleas help me breathe som life back into this sled with 10.500 miles and forgive my bad spelling and punctuation lol

Being a professional welder, you're in a good position to make exhaust stuff work. That said, my first inclination would be to return the Viper stuff and get your money back, unless someone can verify for sure that it does work without hurting hp, and can also verify if jetting/tuning changes are needed. The other reason is because your stock exhaust manifold and your stock muffler are the same parts that came on 1999 and newer Vmax/Venture/Venom etc "Redhead" 600cc/700cc engines, and there are a bunch of those parts out there. It follows that the mid pipe would fit, or very closely fit, on your Venom as well, even though your pipe is listed as 2004-2006 model years. The inlet and outlet sizes have to be the same from 1999-2006, and it's likely the length and angles are the same as well since the chassis are very similar under the hood/bellypans. If there are small differences such as length or the height of the stand bracket, as a pro welder you could make modifications rather easily, but I suspect the pipe fits just fine. I'd look for a 1999-newer mid pipe that fits the "Redhead" 600/700 triple (1998 is likely fine too, but a different part number. 1997 has a different outlet/muffler connection). The Yamaha "Redhead" triple is their non-powervalve 2 stroke triple, only available as a single pipe engine from the factory, installed in a very wide range of sled models (just not in the SRX models "blue head, triple pipe" or Viper models "black head, single pipe", both power valve engines).

As for the cluster problem, the ER models use the battery as a smoothing condenser for the electrical system. Non-ER models have a pair of condensers connected into the harness that the stock ER doesn't have. It may be possible to add the condensers to your sled if you have the connectors available, but they may not be there. Regardless, since your sled came with electric start, hopefully there's nothing wrong with the elect start system and all you need to do is add a good battery to have that feature, and clear up the cluster issues. If the battery doesn't clear it up, you could have harness ground issues, corrosion in connectors, wire rub thru issues, stator going bad, among others. Hopefully the battery solves it.

Being a professional welder, you're in a good position to make exhaust stuff work. That said, my first inclination would be to return the Viper stuff and get your money back, unless someone can verify for sure that it does work without hurting hp, and can also verify if jetting/tuning changes are needed. The other reason is because your stock exhaust manifold and your stock muffler are the same parts that came on 1999 and newer Vmax/Venture/Venom etc "Redhead" 600cc/700cc engines, and there are a bunch of those parts out there. It follows that the mid pipe would fit, or very closely fit, on your Venom as well, even though your pipe is listed as 2004-2006 model years. The inlet and outlet sizes have to be the same from 1999-2006, and it's likely the length and angles are the same as well since the chassis are very similar under the hood/bellypans. If there are small differences such as length or the height of the stand bracket, as a pro welder you could make modifications rather easily, but I suspect the pipe fits just fine. I'd look for a 1999-newer mid pipe that fits the "Redhead" 600/700 triple (1998 is likely fine too, but a different part number. 1997 has a different outlet/muffler connection). The Yamaha "Redhead" triple is their non-powervalve 2 stroke triple, only available as a single pipe engine from the factory, installed in a very wide range of sled models (just not in the SRX models "blue head, triple pipe" or Viper models "black head, single pipe", both power valve engines).

As for the cluster problem, the ER models use the battery as a smoothing condenser for the electrical system. Non-ER models have a pair of condensers connected into the harness that the stock ER doesn't have. It may be possible to add the condensers to your sled if you have the connectors available, but they may not be there. Regardless, since your sled came with electric start, hopefully there's nothing wrong with the elect start system and all you need to do is add a good battery to have that feature, and clear up the cluster issues. If the battery doesn't clear it up, you could have harness ground issues, corrosion in connectors, wire rub thru issues, stator going bad, among others. Hopefully the battery solves it.

Well the pipe is paper thin in spots and very brittle but I will patch it up until I get a new one ordered I fear that the sx viper pip is way too big on the stinger end and will loose back presser the 700 has I assume bigger carbs And variable exhaust so it can chang the port size as needed my engine has 32 carb and no variable exhaust it's a baby triple 🚼Lol

What is a good lug size to run on this sled I d like to go with a 1.25 Predator Run 96 studs ?? Do I have clearance for that ?? The stock track is fubar .

1" or 1.25" lug are both decent choices, and should clear fine especially if your sled doesn't have tunnel protectors or heat exchanger protectors. If you want to run studs, a 1" track may be a better choice unless you do a lot of off trail riding in deeper snow. You can use shorter (lighter) studs in a 1" track since they are sized base on lug ht, and shorter lug tracks typically weigh less than taller lugs, less rotating weight is always good. You will want to have all of the tunnel and heat exchanger protectors in place for studs, 96 studs is good for all-around use, could even try 72 if you want to keep the weight down, and if you keep those 72 in fairly sharp condition they will give you better traction than 96 getting worn & dull. For more detail and track, lug, & stud preferences, you can read for hours in the "Yamaha Sleds" section on this site, in particular the "Vmax, SXR, SX..etc" forum, and even post your questions there since that is the sled forum most similar to your Venom (same type of chassis and non-power valve engine). You can also read in the "SRX, Viper" section since a lot of the track related info carries over to your sled.

I also have an 04 Venom and a good battery will fix the problem with the gauges. My son's was doing the same exact thing. a good battery was all it took. Good luck, great sled.

Ok I think I m going with a full block 1 inch track used but in great shape from Home cycle repair and salvage in Milford Maine there good on prices and the track is studded I think I can get it off victor for about 200$ i got a nice set of kyb shocks off him for 100$ The kybs are a up grade for my model we will see how they work tonight I also got the Gag working with a new battery it seems like Yamaha offered a lot of warning lights and signals and that's awesome they where ahead of their time for shure I love this sled I fixed the pipe and found out y it broke it had no bolts in the clutch side engine mounts causing the engine to twist excessively and break the pipe

New battery and everything works good electronically it stars up easy with just a touch of the �� awesome sled I mnin love with it and looking for another one maby a viper ER? 700

When was the last year Yamaha offered a triple two stroke and you will never sell me on a 4 stroke my buddy has a top of the line apex and I got no love for it it's heavy and has strange power band that is flat on top end and it took us about 3 hrs to chang tho oile :2strokes:

2006 was the last year for Yamaha 2 stroke snowmobiles.

You really only have clearance for 1175" studs (Woody measurement) to clear front exchanger and need tunnel protectors or it will hit under the gas tank.

Back