steering rack

stealther27

So a couple years ago a got a used wide front end kit that was made by maximum performance from a member on here. After looking through some other member's working logs I've been thinking of getting a sno-tek steering rack. I've looked through older posts on this site and it seems that sno-tek still has a website but it hasn't been updated since like 2008. I've looked through the ty classifieds over the last couple years, as well as ebay and it seems like these steering racks are next to impossible to find! Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to look to possibly find one of these? Thanks in advance

If you haven't seen the Yamaha Factory Proaction Snocross setup document I should have a copy around here somewhere. I forget who actually made the steering rack, but it could have been Sno-Tek. Their front-end widening kits worked very well back then. I don't know if any of those were left laying around or if they all were destroyed. However, if you could find one of those they worked really well (at least for snocross of the time). I have somewhat of an unfinished knockoff that I never got time to finish laying around here too. The T-arms for that setup were made by Dennis Kaigle of Columbia Falls, Mt. under his company name of Nlites. I have a couple well used up sets of those and am still running a set although one finally got bent during a ghost rider event. Dennis unfortunately went a bit off the deep end so I think that option closed now.

Let me know if you are interested in that document and I will try to find it.

Last edited:
I'm interested In any info you have ding.

I've looked and looked, Spoken to bill Bassett a couple times about these over the years. He did make the yamaha spec snowcross rack steering components, as well as sno-tek's "consumer" version. Outside of finding used parts or a sled that has the kit installed, you're out of luck. The yamaha snocross stuff was pretty trick and very robust compared to the snotek kit...also slightly more involved. The snotek kit looks just like a polaris rack setup of similar year sleds of ours (bill actually designed the setup that polaris used) I keep telling myself I'm going to make a snocross replica steering kit but just haven't found the time.

Let's see a pic of the I completed parts you have!

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer ding but yea I already got that factory racing document from sled talk, that's some pressure interesting stuff. But maybe you have some more info I haven't seen? But yea these steering racks seem harder to find than a "white srx skidplate"! But like he said let's see some of the completed pics you have, I'm very interested.

I have some floats on the way to my house for my front end and the way it looks if I install them to raise me much I'll have bad bump steer.. So I'm researching steering racks too, I'd be interested to see pics of what anybody has used even converting poo parts or something...

Yah, i found a post I made on here in 09 where I posted the link to that doc on Chris's blog. In that post I mentioned that the original doc I had included more info and was likely not intended for public use. I also mentioned that I couldn't find it them, so I likely can't find now LOL. TY User Hatch actually made some of the parts I have but have never used. There should be other posts on here (if not too old) with some pics of those. What I didn't have done yet was the radius rod attach bracket to obtain the unequal control arm ratio. I was still trying to figure out why Yamaha went with the severe shortening of the upper rods. nor did I have the steering arm (connect to spindles) changes needed figured out to acquire the desired overall steering ratio. I'll look for previous posts or pics or if I can't find them I'll go find the actual parts and take new pics. I had them all in a separate bulkhead for mock-up so they should be easy to find LOL

Here is one thread of Hatch's build which you have likely already read . . . http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php/60667-Custom-Sno-X-Viper-Clone

If I'm thinking of the same document, it was a powerpoint presentation with instructions for the racing guys on the widened rack for SX sleds. I have that one, I'm assuming it's ok to post since I got it either off of here or Chris' blog.

Same one you were thinking of?

That doc is the one cleared for external use. I don't think there is any issue sharing it as it is already available several places. I have it on a few computers here at home. It has a filename of 0u58a-suspension.ppt

The one I had earlier was an internal document I suspect that had a lot more design info in it. It wasn't a power point but I can't remember what it was. I sure wish I had it now as it had a lot of info that would be useful for building a knock-off of the race kit.

If you check the build section and look up Musselman's build there are very clear pics of the snotec setup. Message him, if he hasn't sold the sled he might be able to give you measurements and you can mcgiver one together. I can't seem to find my mockup.

I'm not 100% sure because I bought the sled this way but I might have a snotek front suspension. It's definitely not stock. If you need measurements or pics or something let me know.

Back