When and where do you use locktite?

brmurph

Haven't really worked on sleds since my 72 yamaha's and I don't think there was locktite at that time, at least all the bolts used the bend over tabs for locking. Anyway can someone run a list of what they lock tight and what they don't? Is there any bolt that you should not use locktite? Below is specifically what I am working on now but feel free to add to this list maybe it will help others. My sled is a 1994 vmax 500 but assume it would be the same for most sleds. Maybe it would be shorter to list what doesn't need locktite :-)?

Suspension bolts (skid, idler wheels, shafts, etc) locktite all bolts?
Primary and secondary clutch bolt (main bolt only for now)?
Chain gear bolts (upper and lower)?
Chain case bolts?
Skis?

Thanks in advance.

I try to follow the service manual advice unless I encounter a bolt that won't stay put. Too many differences across sleds to simply go by a "list" imo.

Clutch shouldn't need loctite. They will tighten because of direction of rotation. God forbid you ever broke the bolt taking it apart it would be hell to get it out. Best bet is the genuine Yamaha service manual. It has pics in every diagram for grease, loctite etc

I do have a soft copy of the manual but could not find anything on using locktite until I found out you spell it loctite (using search :-). I found it under maintenance specifications along with the torque specs. I guess the manual is right, it says to torque the driven sprocket (lower gear) to 35 foot pounds and use loctite, can anyone verify if that is right for a 1994 500? The only reason I ask is it also says to torque the drive sprocket (top) when there is nothing to torque.

Thanks guys.

Interesting. Mine has no nut and looks much more simplistic, I guess because I don't have reverse.

Thanks.

Back