Trouble with radius rod bolt

mattison

I'm trying to remove my lower right control rod, because it broke at the weld on the spindle, and I am having trouble with the bolt. It just doesn't want to come out. Anybody know any tricks? The nut is loose and the bolt turns fairly easily, but, won't slide out. How do you get this thing to move?

Likely has a grove in it or the threads are simply catching. I use a pickle fork on the bolt head, and then grab and wiggle the radius rod around as you apply pressure on the pickle fork. Don't want to damage threads, but it will take a bit. Sometime the front plate (if equipped) is an issue and you can wiggle that a bit too. Might have to loosen the other radius rod nuts.

The bolt is apparently corroded to the rod end and won't slide out. Probably have to cut it out and replace the bolt.

Hit it with Aero-Kroil and let it sit for a day or so. PB Blaster is not as good but works somewhat. Deep Creep is also not as good but might work. On one sled I put the Nut back on but not quite enough to expose the bolt threads. Then I used an air hammer with a pointed bit on the end of the bolt. The nut in the right position saves the threads and helps hold the air hammer in place. I usually replace these bolts anyway once they lock up like that, but at least I can still get the nut off if I save the threads. A heat gun on the rod ends from underneath can also be helpful. Or you can heat up the bolts quite hot and then let them cool.

The inner control rod bolt can usually be left in place along with the rod end. Loosen the locknut that is against the control rod, unscrew the damaged control rod from the rod end, thread in the replacement control rod and attach to control arm bracket. Check alignment, hint - mark & leave the locknut right next to the end of the control rod so you thread the replacement rod to the same point, still should verify alignment as not all parts are identical. Tighten locknut.
Drink a beer, or go riding if you have snow.

This doesn't solve the rusted bolt issue, just kicks it further down the road, but... maybe you never come back to it down the road.
It's a good idea to douse these rod ends, and all moving joints on the suspension for that matter, with oil a few times a season, and especially right before summer storage to help prevent rust from taking hold.

Last edited:
I have done that before as well left the ilet part in the machine and threaded the damaged rod out and threaded the new one in its been like that for a few thousand miles now no issues!

Wish it was as easy as replacing the the outer rod section, but, the inner rod end got bent when the outer broke and was dragging for probably many miles.

Back