Brake fail 2001 SXR 700

Rebmo

My son was riding yesterday for about 20 minutes and he stopped and said his brakes weren't working. I pulled the lever and there was nothing. The caliper was extremely hot. Prior to this the brakes were working fine. So we let it cool down for about 20 minutes and the brakes are fine. The caliper and disk are free with no noticeable drag (I turned it by hand on a stand). The only thing I can think of is my son added some oil and dribbled some in the caliper area. Also, this is the first time running it this year (ran once prior in yard for 10min with no issues) and it didn't run much last year 4-500 miles with the lack of snow. An input would be appreciated.

Might be time to replace the pads. If you let it go too long you might have to replace the rotor too. Quite similar to car brakes.

Maybe the caliper stuck.Maybe some oil did run down after a bit. Maybe someone forgot the e-brake was on.Oil would make them slip but shouldn't get hot unless applied and slipped for a long time.Something bound or stuck for it to get that hot.if pads look good, fluid , rotor is not warped there is not much to do besides run it and keep an eye on things.

Checked out the brakes again today before we headed out. Pads look pretty good. They functioned completely normal and free traveling. We ran 160 miles and no brake fail. It may have been hung up yesterday from not being used for a long time. I pried them after the fail and the pads seemed free. So not really sure what caused the complete fail and hot calipers. I'll get some new pads when back home and go over the calipers.

Thanks for the replies.

If you got them hot enough you probably got the brake fluid so hot it it won't work. Let it cool regains it viscosity and works. Had my buddy's wife riding brakes up and down hills and did same thing. Got too hot. Time for a break fluid change.

Back