Temperature light flashing

yamahahasxv

Hi all!
I just got a 2002 yamaha viper. Last night was the first night i took it out for a rip 30 miles. The warning light flashes a couple times and then the temperature light starts flashing. Even after sitting for an hour started it back up and the lights came on again. Sometimes the other gages get a little wacky too. We couldnt tell if the coolant level went down because it burped after we filled it or if its leaking or burning it. It RUNS FINE and shows no signs of over heating. I read somewhere else that the lights could mean there is a short or something is disconnected. If it was burning coolant wouldn't it run terrible?

Do a search on wire harness rub thru. Basically there are a few spots where this is prone to occur. Near the hood hinge and under the engine are two common spots. You can tie a string to the harness and pull it out from under the engine (pull it to the back). The string is to simply pull it back in. Be sure to unplug the harness and release the metal tabs and wire ties that hold the harness in place before pulling on it. Once you have it out you can inspect it for damage and simply repair and re-tape before pulling it back in. Very little cost, just time consuming.

My brother and I just recently went mad with a similar problem. The temp light would continuously flash 3 times....3 times...3 times. Then sometimes would stop. We realized that it had to do with the grip warmer. If the grip warmers were off, the light would flash. If they were on (they were working), the light would stay off.

Definitely make sure that the heat exchangers are getting warm though.. just ride a bit and feel under the floorboards. Good luck!
What did you find with the grip heater problem? I am having the same thing if grip heaters off .... I get fault code, if I turn them on the code stops flashing. My grip heaters seem to be working fine too. I think the battery is shot will not hold a charge and I am wondering if that is somehow related.

Back