Spark question.

Keith1962

I have a 2001 Venture 600 that left my son trailside today. It was running fine, we stopped at an intersection to read the map, then no start. Checked for spark, nothing. Snowing hard at the time, could not see anything wrong. Towed it to the road and came back for with my trailer. Started right up. I did notice that the oil tank was very low, and he was at an uphill angle when it wouldn't start, the at a downhill angle when it would. Oil level safety maybe? No warning light on....
I should mention that i just recently replaced the wiring harness on this sled do to a rub-through melt down, but the sled has been running perfectly since then. Could it just be the oil level?

No would not be oil level. Sounds as if stator got hot, overheated and shorted out. The sled sits, Stator cools then returns to spec and runs fine. Used to happen to a 98 vmax xt we had. Check harness again and make sure all wires and all grounds are good to rule out the simple things. A short will cause a huge draw on stator. Check e start system and battery also. If all is good i would bet your stators going, usually no reason why they just go and this is the start of the symptoms. Dim lights at idle, runs rough with brights on ect.... It may run fine ten more rides then just cut out for good so keep an eye on it.

Only found 1 ground when install the wiring harness. Is there another one? Are the aftermarket stators any good?

I know the one ground at the coil pack, one for your starter (should be on front engine mount) not sure if others. As far as stators go OEM is best. Aftermarket have been a crap shoot from what ive heard around here.

Back