Suspension set up.

craig.sulyma

I just got home from my first real trail ride this weekend, and sled needs to be adjusted, I'm going to ask for a bit of help figuring out what to adjust.

So a bit of sled history that I can tell you, it's a 2000 sxr 700. I think stock skid under it, don't know much about the sled, rear shocks may be toast and need recharge? Fronts did it has kyb up front, likely something similar out back, not ohlins for sure. The front s have just been rebuilt and this was the first ride after replacing them. I have only had the sled for a month and only been out in 3 other vey short rides with minimal snow cover, but today up near Algonquin park there was a ton of snow.

Today's ride, the sled was, all over the place, slipping and sliding as if all the weight was placed right under the fuel tank, once you got to a high speed and sat back on the seat it seems to transfer some of that weight to the back but as soon as you drop any speed it goes back to a sloppy ride, it would turn ok, but was always like it was pivoting on the front of the track. I need to try to figure out , how easy to adjust more weight to the front and or back to give the sled some stability on the trail. I plan to get back up there in two weeks and give a good weekend ride. I do not have sled at home for now, so I'm hoping this can be done easily on the garage floor before I get out next time.

I have not started a search as of yet figured I'd see if anyone has any links, once I'm done here I'll go do a google seat and see what I can find

Tia for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Betheviper has a full article on how to set the suspension up properly on these sleds front to back very well written unfortunately you will have to spend some time to do this properly there is no one size fits all. In the search bar type in betheviper. Under his name is the link for this set up.

Thank you. I found an article from him in 2007 I am currently looking at as well as the Yamaha video at same time.

Now I wish I had brought the sled home so I could have a couple weeks to work on it. The way it rides, doesn't make me like snowmobiling very much. I took a buddies skidoo renegade for a 15 minute run behind mine and he shortly wanted his own sled back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If it feels like all the weight is centered it sounds like the front skid shock is cranked up or the limiter straps are let way out. That will lighten the skis and not put a lot of weight along the whole track. Being a shorty setup is a lot more important to get the weight balance.

you have way too much front ski pressure! rebuild the rear shocks and adjust the straps on the w arm( let it out more). and youll be in business!

My quess is that you have the springs done up too tight on those front shocks. Measure the front bumper height and one of the sxr guys can help out if you don't have a sled too compare.

I feel your pain as well after a ride on my 2001 Venture 500 you want to send it off a cliff! My front shocks are blown out oil leaked out due to bad rust on the shocks shafts. So if anyone has good 16" long travel shocks I'm looking for a pair

Back