Questions

mtnmaxman600

VIP Member
So I installed a 600 triple out of a 2000 into a 98 600 twin. I changed out the wiring and I am having a issue tach not reading correctly and keeps burning out light bulbs. Can anyone help.

Thanks

Did you swap the tach to a triple tach?
Burning out light bulbs is often a bad voltage regulator. Which bulbs are burning out?

No I didn't swap out the tach I never thought of it until Saturday when I was radar running the sled and said 12500 rpm's can't be right. And it's burning out headlight and taillight bulbs. I shut the hand warmers off so it would burn them out.

Good chance you have a bad voltage regulator, or maybe corroded contacts. You can test voltage at the light socket(s) to see if it's running higher especially as the rpm increase. I'd expect to see 12v-13v, maybe a touch more, depending on system load.

Good chance you have a bad voltage regulator, or maybe corroded contacts. You can test voltage at the light socket(s) to see if it's running higher especially as the rpm increase. I'd expect to see 12v-13v, maybe a touch more, depending on system load.

I agree with srx700c sounds like a voltage regulator problem give the charging system a test see what it's putting out with nothing on then crank up all the warmers and high beams and even hold the brakes to get that light going.

Back