Grinding and knocking on my 01 srx.

auji700triple

With almost a 12k srx I think the engine met it's end. The grinding knocking is coming from the engine compartment only on a slowdown, meaning if I did anywhere from 1/2 throttle to full I wouldn't hear a thing and the sled would run fine. Maybe cuz i can't hear the noise because im running Hauck growlers... lmfao. But once off the gas and the sled back shifts till about 4-6500rpms I'm getting a nasty grinding and knock coming from engine.

So I had a few issues with the starter cup recently so I decided yesterday to pull the assembly and start the sled manually by roping the primary with the sled on a stans. No luck still getting a bad knock and grinding on the backshift. I'm going to pull the chain case shortly and hope to find my problem. If not then I'll try the speedo bearing.

Both clutches have been fully rebuilt within the last 300kms and I've finally been getting my 8500rpm. Was hoping to hear some input before I pull the engine and say good bye to this year's sledding season, I'm in denial to say the least. I'm thinking a crank bearing or connecting rod bearing has failed. This knocking and grinding is rough, real rough.

Does it happen on lower RPM or say 4K when on the throttle holding it there? Reason I ask is if it does, just remove the belt fire it up and listen. You could always do the screw driver trick to the cylinder or case and place the handle to your ear. 2 Stroke's are loud in general so it might be hard to hear a knock but if its as loud as you say you should hear it. Just trying to eliminate the drive train or engine. Simple check takes a matter of minutes.

Check chain case dipstick to for filings or discoloured oil.

Are you sure it's coming from the engine ? Can you feel it in the bars or footholds ? Or is it only heard by ear ?

if its hitting 8500rpm, its not coming from engine, its driveline related. check the jackshaft bearing behind sec clutch and the brake rotor on the shaft.

Back