Removing skid wheels- SX Viper

Motodeficient

Took my rear suspension out to replace the track, and noticed the bearings in the large wheels at the top of the skid (where the suspension mounts to the tunnel) don't seem to good.

It looks like these are pressed on, I don't see any spring clips on either side of the bearing. How do I take these off?

It is very strange that the SRX wheels are the same as the Viper wheels, but 1/5 of the price... The part number is the exact same with the exception of the prefix, (8EK vs 8CR), and I think the prefix just tells you which model snowmobile it's for?

Sort of shady on Yamaha's part?

Anyway, that's great info, thanks. The SRX part numbers are $15 vs Viper part number is $75. I believe that includes the bearing also since there is no separate part number.

So, how do I get the wheels off?

The wheels are pressed onto shaft. I always just put a 2x4 over end of shaft and give it a few hard hits with a sledge hammer. Second pair of hands always helps to hold skid. They will pop off. Not sure what wheels your looking at but your right the viper wheels have bearings that are pressed in and not replaceable. You can take seal off and clean and repack with grease. I did this many times. The srx wheel has replaceable bearings, hence the cost difference. Not sure of bearing number but it’s the same as rest of bogies. I always repacked my viper bearings until bad the just bought srx wheels off eBay complete the cleaned and repacked.

Back