New to Snowmobiles and just acquired a '99 700SRX...a few questions

GudeMN

I've been riding snowmobiles for 3 years after getting hooked after a last minute invite on a 3 day group ride. I was tired of borrowing sleds so I recently bought my own......grabbing a '99 700SRX (3900 mi), '99 600 SX (2700 mi), and a FLOE Pro 100+ trailer.

Both sleds were bought new and maintained by one owner. He is a retired farmer and just doesn't ride anymore. They were both used for trail riding only in eastern WI. He performed annual maintenance on both machines and actually took them in for service a couple days before I was coming to take a look at them. The shop discovered a clutch problem, which the seller fixed ($1200) and still gave me the combo at his original asking price. Pretty solid dude if you ask me. So, I feel like the sleds weren't abused at all but it seems he didn't do much upgrading or proactive replacing of parts as everything is original.

The tracks on both machines have never been replaced. They look worn but I see no tears at first glance. My question is whether or not a track that old is OK to ride on for the time being? Is there anything else I should check and think about getting ahead of? I prefer to be ahead of problems rather than reacting to them but I used pretty much all the money I had set aside for the purchase and can't dump a lot more in right away. I'm also limited in what I can do myself at this point so would be relying on others for help, so I realize, paying for parts and labor can/will add up quickly. So if anyone can offer up things to look for and possibly replace to maximize the bang for the buck that would be great.

I've been reading forum posts like made trying to absorb what I can. Most of the info on here is WAY over my head but I'm trying to learn and am grateful for such a resource to be available. Thanks in advance for any advice or information offered up.

If he just had them service I’m sure he had carbs cleaned, very important with today’s bad gas. Also keep an eye on the POwer valves for the srx. They need a good cleaning and adjust yearly. Tracks should be fine just keep an eye out for tears. All the info on doing this can be found in the TY tech section which the link can be found at top header. And as always ask away, we have a ton of knowledge here waiting to help. Welcome aboard!

Your going to enjoy those machines for sure. Welcome to TY. I'm not in agreement that the tracks are any good. This season both tracks will be 19 years old. Rubber tracks degrade a little each year regardless of whether they are ridden or not. I'm only imagining them to be safe till say 60-70 mph as a guess. After that they are prone to chunking where they begin to fall apart and self destruct.

I chunked a track last year that was only 6 years old. Admittedly @ 105 mph. The faster you spin the track the more dangerous they become.

Regarding service - Ask the seller if he had the carbs cleaned? This is important. If the carbs were not cleaned or if they are not serviced the engines may run lean causing a blown piston usually due to clogged pilot jet. Also on your first run of the season do a plug check within the first mile or two to determine if both engines are burning correctly. All six plugs must look the same brown color. If any plug is gray or lighter in color. Stop ridding.

Each season we see a bunch of blown engines on this forum due to either bad fuel or no service to the carbs.
---mac---

Your going to enjoy those machines for sure. Welcome to TY. I'm not in agreement that the tracks are any good. This season both tracks will be 19 years old. Rubber tracks degrade a little each year regardless of whether they are ridden or not. I'm only imagining them to be safe till say 60-70 mph as a guess. After that they are prone to chunking where they begin to fall apart and self destruct.

I chunked a track last year that was only 6 years old. Admittedly @ 105 mph. The faster you spin the track the more dangerous they become.

Regarding service - Ask the seller if he had the carbs cleaned? This is important. If the carbs were not cleaned or if they are not serviced the engines may run lean causing a blown piston usually due to clogged pilot jet. Also on your first run of the season do a plug check within the first mile or two to determine if both engines are burning correctly. All six plugs must look the same brown color. If any plug is gray or lighter in color. Stop ridding.

Each season we see a bunch of blown engines on this forum due to either bad fuel or no service to the carbs.
---mac---

I am really looking forward to giving them a go. Have read legendary tales of the SRXs....ha ha.

He did have the carbs cleaned and apparently did that like clockwork before each season. All plugs were replaced as well but I'll definitely check as you suggested.

The age of the tracks was my main concern, as you mentioned. I'll mostly be on winding trail systems so won't have too much of an opportunity to get over 30-40 mph for very long. When I hit the lake I'll try and hold back until I get a different track.

I've been reading suggestions to keep the power valves in tip top shape....so I'll be checking into what that entails.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

your going to love the machines. I too was new to Yamaha after riding polaris for many years. I would compare my srx to a cat being thrown into a bathtub full of water. Just absolute chaos. I too checked everything and took it easy till I got used to the sled.
I bought mine with a boondocker NOS system still attached. Basically why I did! Wanted to push the button once! either way I was going to hit it once.
Had the sled @ 110+ on mixed fuel and hit it. Instant 100hp + and unfortunately the water pump gear failed somewhere over 130. Instant overheat and engine failure.
The sled is now rebuilt and without the extra juice!

Once again have fun and ask away there are so many guys here who know the sleds better than their wives!

Back