1996 Vmax 600xt handling issues

Vttrailboss

Hi, I've had this sled for a few years (wife's), but it's now mine. I feel bad... it's all over the trail... no wonder she didn't ride it much! I replaced the skins and carbides last year. Still darts and wanders. I haven't done anything to it yet. The limit straps are nearly all the way out. I was thinking starting with the toe adjustment first. I'd like to hear from someone who's worked with/on the 'pogo' Vmax600 XT's. I ride mostly on trails... woods, and mountains. I'm 200lbs, and pretty new to snowmobiles (as far as adjusting suspensions) if that means anything.

Thanks for any help! It's finally snowing.

Bumper shims work good! we have done this to 2 of our vmax 500's helps!

Ok.. I didn't know the shims were for the TSS set-up as well. Thanks, J

Find a nice pair of viper ski's and put some decent carbides on them. They will improve the front end big time for handling. Like mentioned above shim the rubbers also. Check your toe and alignment. Those old pogos were pretty planted and point and shoot with a decent pair of ski's on them. The ol metal and skins were pretty rough. https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/ausertech/Dave_vmaxSkisrx1.htm They skis at the time had to come off a RX1 but all the vipers used them also till 04. Just find them with the aluminum saddles and its a easy mod. Loved them on mine!

you can also use2014 sr viper skis with some minor grinding in the webbing for the tss. i had the 04 vier skis on my et410 and toasted a saddle on a tree. dealer had a set of 2014 sr viper take offs that you just need to grind a bit of webbing out on the front side for the tss scissors to clear at full compression. either ski is a huge improvement over the steel stockers. never had to shim either ski in my case but i do have a set of rubbers to put in when i feel the need.

you could also try snow trackers on it.

Ok.. So I'm a little confused. Can I shim the stock TSS skis? I do see a shim under there, but it looks like a flat piece of rubber.

I'll keep my eyes out for a set of viper skis, but would rather see if I can make the stockers work for now (and save $2-300 for a newer sled).

i never have but if there are rubbers under there, you should be able to add a shim to the rear to get the tip up better.

20171220_163509.jpg

I pulled the left side out, and it looks pretty beat! I figured $15 later and Ill add a little more material on the back side as a shim. Hopefully it'll help... along with the adjustments.

Still need snow to know for sure!

Just a FYI but you can pick up a decent pair of vipers skis for under a hundred bucks these days. See them all over here and on ebay. Anyone asking any more then that is way over priced. These are 15 year old skis now.

I ordered a set of new pads, but pulled the old ones out and added some material. I tried an old drive belt, but the was way to thick. So hopefully the rubber hose I used will give enough lift/push to help. We'll see.

I haven't found any new (old) skis online. It seems most people want $150+ for very well used skis. I tried a local sled junk yard, but haven't heard back.

Save your money and your time and buy a set of ski savers from bergstrom skegs. I had an awful darting problem on my 1995 Vmax 600 some years back and the ski savers solved the problem immediately. Quick, easy, and cheap..

Back