Clutch operation

Hammer Down

Please check out this video. Let me know if the clutch operation looks normal. Specifically the primary. It snaps back the last inch or so and there is an audible 'squeak' sound.

I did clean these clutches end of season last year before storing.

I also added Mr. Vipers hot trail setup. I don't recall exactly but I drilled out the rivots and installed the springs, rivots, helix etc to his specs.

I smoked a belt loading it in the trailer and the sound the primary makes on disengagement has me tripping. It might just be excess drag from my skis on a dry trailer. I do have those Simmons dual carbide skis and ski plastic runner things on my trailer.

I just want want to make sure all is perfect before hitting the UP. Thanks.
https://youtu.be/uiEyyO80Dpo

https://youtu.be/uiEyyO80Dpo

Last edited:

belt deflection is a bit low, you can see how the belt top is under the top edge of the secondary, you likely need to play with shims on the 3 bolts on back of clutch, its also why you see the extra jerk in the primary on the belt cause its too loose(long acting) with a lot of deflection. the topedge of the ribs should just barely be up above the edge of the sec. clutch.

Thank you sir. I'll get on that. I would need to add shims, correct?

And I am very pleased with the clutch set up especially with my new 1.22" Ice ripper. Excellent acceleration and a nice back shift. And that's just tooling around on my 2 acre lot.

Can't wait to get up to The UP.

What belt is optimal for a 2001 SRX700? I have an 8DN 17640 on it now. I pulled the three adjuster screws completely out and the belt deflection improved but I don't believe it's there yet.

The 8DN belt is probably the most recommended and widely used belt for the SRX,it seems to last the longest overall.Guys that drag race tend to use Carlisle or Dayco because they grip better being a somewhat softer compound.
As for your shim question,yes add shims to let the sheaves come together.And those bolts will wear the ends over time so should be replaced if the ends look flattened out or odd shaped.

It might be worth looking at the bushings in your primary too,especially the sliding sheave one as the coating (teflon ?) wears off over time and it could explain your pop as the sheave moves back out to rest.

Last edited:

Back