Srx700 backfiring clutch side cylinder.

Mortagleus

Sled was running awesome. Then parked few day and apon warming up started to back fire. I pulled and cleaned carbs put back on backfiring still. Enough ro make the exhaust pipe first cylinder closest to clutch pop about and inch out before reseating. Any clues as to what i should check.

1999. All plugs were slightly wet. But engine was still cold from just putting carbs on. Shut it down so as to not hurt anything almost -30'C today

Last edited:
Think it might have been plugs. Just had never had plugs create backfiring on me before. Put another set of new ones in and she is purring again. Which is awesome because my ofsc trail stixker just came in yesterday.

Change plugs ran awesome. Just went out to start. Hard starting then started backfiring again. Only -20c here could cold temps cause backfiring.

On second tank since first started backfiring. Ran amazing once changed plugs. I had idle before at about 1100. Turned it up to about 1900 on last trip which made it start easy that day. Afer couple days around -30 it was a pain to start then wham backfiring.

Last edited:
Will do as soon as i do a run to town and by a new one. Last one died. Right now i adjusted tors (ihope) and now sled fires up first pull and then dies. Subsequent pulls wont fire. Give it a minute, pull fires up a second or 2 then dies.

Actually the P.O had disabbled tors. I just took another look at the wires. I changed first plug it fired up. But also noted the opposite cylinder was now not firing. Wonder whats causing it to keep killing plugs.

So bought a cheap tester. Tested compression on cold engine outside -10'C . 108, 105 mid and 110 on clutch side. Put a little oil in retested. About 112, 112, 115 which is almost exactly where it was after the new rings went in about 300 to 400km ago. I can puchace new caps at canadian tire. Or cap and wire, does anyone know if plug wire just pulles from coil or is it part of coil assembly. I dont want to yank it apart and break it.

Change just the plug cap. Pretty much unscrew the cap from the wire. You can snip a little bit off of the wire before you put the new cap on.

yep, sounds like new spark plug caps needed, these guys went in the right direction, follow the advice and change all 3 out.

New caps are on. Had to turn idle down Reved right up onc eit fired after 7 pulls. Also have to reclean carbs as one cylinder exhaust is cold unless hitting throttle. Think going to add inline filter.

Back