2000 yamaha SX700 brake stuck?

JEFF SX700R

I took my 2000 SX700r out for its first ride this season and did not make it very far before I smelled something burning. I turned around and headed back home, popped my hood and my brake disc was glowing bright red and actually started a little flame before I was able to quickly put it out with some snow (luckily)

I made sure my parking brake was not engaged ( I never have a need to use it anyway) The brake does not seem to be moving so Im guessing something got stuck? Is the cable an issue to look at ? so can anyone tell me whats going on with it and what I have to do to avoid this happening again?

thank you in advance for your replies!

Jeff

I took my 2000 SX700r out for its first ride this season and did not make it very far before I smelled something burning. I turned around and headed back home, popped my hood and my brake disc was glowing bright red and actually started a little flame before I was able to quickly put it out with some snow (luckily)

I made sure my parking brake was not engaged ( I never have a need to use it anyway) The brake does not seem to be moving so Im guessing something got stuck? Is the cable an issue to look at ? so can anyone tell me whats going on with it and what I have to do to avoid this happening again?

thank you in advance for your replies!

Jeff

It possible that the piston is stuck either the seal is bad on the piston or it some how got some water in it and froze. Can you get it into a heated building and thaw it out?

It possible that the piston is stuck either the seal is bad on the piston or it some how got some water in it and froze. Can you get it into a heated building and thaw it out?

Thanks for your reply. I am going to pull it into the garage. Too cold and dark to see tonight but its been stored inside its whole life. I am familiar with car brake caliper pins getting stuck. Do sleds have a similar set up? Should I try taking it apart and cleaning it/lubricating something? thanks again

Thanks for your reply. I am going to pull it into the garage. Too cold and dark to see tonight but its been stored inside its whole life. I am familiar with car brake caliper pins getting stuck. Do sleds have a similar set up? Should I try taking it apart and cleaning it/lubricating something? thanks again

It cant hurt to take a look at it. If it has a lot of corrosion, that could be the issue but it shouldnt get that much unless you hauled it on an open trailer.

Just had one freeze this past weekend. Brought it in, thawed out and worked fine. Changed out brake fluid and no further problems. Mine was so froze it wouldn’t even move.

Back