SXR 700, back fire and not running smooth, stator issue??

shaggyzr2

I have a 2000 SXR 700 that I'm working on, Will bog and backfire if you pin the throttle from low RPM, it also doesn't run smooth, doesn't have that crisp smooth sounding throttle response it used to have. So far we went through the carbs, all parts looked good and very clean, choke and throttle cable adjusted properly, cleaned stator and rotor, tested plug caps, those tested good, new plugs, tried a different CDI, bypassed TORS and drained and replaced fuel, it also seems to smoke a little more than it should. We tried a little hotter plug, B8ES, that did help a little. Anyone have any issues like this? Were thinking maybe the stator isn't working like it should anymore.

Reeds are new, it doesn't have power valves. I think we got it figured out. We tried a different stator, that helped a little but didn't fix it. The owner of the sled had added weight to the clutch weights last winter to bring the RPMS down a little, he said it didn't run right after that so I figured maybe try putting the stock rivets back in the weights, that seemed to fix it, goes pretty good now. Looks like he had added a quite a bit of weight so I'm guessing it was loading up the engine too much.

Back