97 VMAX SX 700 Questions

4wealn

Good afternoon and Happy New Year. I had a chance to get out and put some miles on the sled today. I have 2 questions. The sled was not wanting to idle to well. It would idle at 1000-1500 for a bit and then drop down and sputter out. It would fire back up with a little throttle and ran fine. Ran about 25 miles and all was good. When I got back I decided to pull the plugs and see what they look like. The clutch side (belt side) looked a little black, the other two looked the same and were brownish and a bit cleaner than the clutch side one. Is this normal.
Plugs were new last year, only have run the sled 60 miles each of last year and the year before. Had the carbs cleaned by the dealer two years ago but sled only has about 150 miles on it since they were cleaned (including the miles I have just put on). Should I replace the plugs with new ones?

My second question is regarding the belt. I think I know the answer to this one but I will ask anyways. When I snap the throttle and get the sled moving I can smell rubber. Does this mean the belt is starting to wear and I need to change it? Before this year I would only get the rubber smell the first time I got the sled moving for the day and then I would not smell it again, now it happens way more often.

Thank you in advance for your help.

For belt I would say it’s slipping and not normal. Should never smell belt burning. Take off belt and wash really well with hot soapy water. Take off clutches if you can and wash inside of sheaves with a green Scott bright pad to deglaze them. Up down motion from center to edge. Then finish off with acetone or rubbing alcohol. Also sounds like a good carb cleaning in order. Miles don’t matter as today’s gas goes bad fast and varnish carbs quick. It won’t idle because pilot jets may be plugged. Plugs could use a change but not really a factor here.

Thanks guys. Shaggy, that is what I thought but could not remember which side it was.

I had a feeling I would need to clean the carbs. I am hesitant to do it as I have not done it before. Our riding season has started and I don't really want to mess with it.
My hesitation is because I do not want to mess anything up. I have built 2 offroad jeeps from a bare frame so I am mechanically inclined. I have looked in the manual and on the tech pages here on TY, but still have a hesitation. I guess I am looking for a more detailed explanation on how to pull off the carbs. I am not hesitant about actually cleaning them it is about pulling them off and putting them back on, mostly for the oil cable so it doesn't run lean.
I have pulled apart carbs out of dirt bikes without a problem but they don't have the oil cable.
Its almost like I would like to see it done and then I could do it with confidence, but I don't have that option.

Back