98 vmax 600sx sputtering at full throttle

biglsells

VIP Member
OK sled has been running what seemed fine last couple winters and beginning of this one. There have been times it acted a little strange with backfires and such but otherwise, ran well.

I was riding the other day and it just seemed to not want to rev up. It idled fine and would go to about 15/20 mph and then just sputter. I figured it was time to clean the carbs which I did tonight.

Put it all back together and I can go about twice the speed, maybe 40, on a nice flat surface, and then when I hit higher rpm's it starts to get all sputtery and will not accelerate. It's almost like on a small 2 stroke engine (say weed wacker) you can hold it wide open and adjust the mixture until the motor sings that perfect note. Well, it's not hitting it and I have no idea why, I've changed nothing and I am at a complete loss. Thought I would see if anyone has had a situation like this and what their solution is.

I've tried

-cleaning carbs
-new plugs
-fresh gas

OK - just read on another forum someone had a similar issue and the cause he found for his particular problem is exactly what I did. I was low on oil (It was not yamalube in the tank but regular 2-stroke oil) and I had just bought a bottle of amsoil synthetic 2-stroke oil, I dumped that whole bottle in there with what was already in the tank. I had hardly used the sled but I would imagine I am now to this new "blend" of oils. Could that really be causing it to run oddly? I just figured hmmpf, oil is oil.

Last edited:

Back