Has anyone used this?

YamiSwami

So i found these "drop brakets" listed on ebay.. im lookimg for feed back on these and if i installed them what would i have to do to adjust for the new setup..just add the h infront of the string to get the link to work..

ttps://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282225824228

Let me clarify... the link is to ebay where someone has made a set of rear skid drop brackets that adds 3 inches of travel. The brackets use the same factory hole in the back but you have to change the hole in the front but not by much..

Has anyone used these brackets? Is it worth it to use on proaction skid?

By using the stock suspension and just adding drop brackets won't help your suspension travel at all. Only rise the sled up from my understanding thus losing some MPH on top end.

No different than jacking up a leaf spring car/truck by installing longer shackles.

They will get your running boards further away from the snow, add ski pressure and remove some of the factory spindle castor.

If nothing else is done but add the drop brackets you will lose some traction, get heavier steering and more darting around.

I've never used them and never will. The concept is fundamentally flawed. I think the claims made by those who make/sell them are reckless at best.

opsled

I installed CB drop brackets on my sx viper s recently. I have only ridden it a few miles with this setup. I should mention I only used the first hole. I believe that is a 2” drop. Sled also has track USA 136” extension. First thought after short ride. Helps in deep snow, it did seem to increase darting, I had to add a lot more spring pressure to get correct spacing on transfer nuts. Not sure how it will work out when hitting big bumps yet. And turning, it seems to want to roll more. It does look cool, but function is far more important. I made sure I could return sled to stock if it did not work out.
I still have testing and tuning to do before I could give honest opinion.

Thank you all. Im about to open a pretty old can of worms so be warned...

as new viper owner (2 red vipers) and being a big guy (360 geared) Im learning alot about suspension on these sleds.. It started off with me inquiring about doing a skid swap removing the pro action and replacing with a doo skid sc3.. Most of the answers that I received advised me to just get the shocks revalved and add heavier springs. Then I stumbled upon an ebay product (drop brackets) that are supposed to add 3 inches of travel by lowering the rear of the skid. After receiving feedback on those, it was determined that it was a gimmic and here is why from what I understand..

1. These sleds are designed to sit low in the back for weight distribution in relation to the front suspension design
2. Swapping the skid is really only beneficial if you have the Ohlins in the front

My question I guess at this point would be, what is driving the hate factor on the proaction suspension? is it the amount of travel? is it poor shock valving and spring tension from the factory? is it all of it?

Why do I ask this? because It will cost me around $250 to get the shocks revalved and new springs. For alittle bit more, it seems like I could do a swap on the skid with a doo sc2 or 3 for about the same amount but then still have to revalve and spring the shocks, plus fight with the front suspension to get the balance.

If someone would be willing to dive into explaining what the hype is on the hate against the proaction skid and what the true benefits are on skid swap vs. just revlaving the shocks, springs on proaction.?

For me the hate for the proaction is based entirely on the weight of the skid. I don't ride any trails, only boondocking style riding and I've lifted that heavy rear end out of too many soft holes. That's why I swapped to a far lighter longer skid from a cat. With that being said though you definitely have a valid point about the problems of swapping something else in and having incorrect weight distribution and problems with darting, heavy front etc.

Drop brackets are just that. Drop complet rear suspension. But serve very little purpose beyond that. They give more ground clearance for deep snow. They change the look of the sled. As stated earlier they will also add ski pressure. If not done correctly, I have heard complaints of the suspension binding.

If I am correct in saying the pro action suspension has only 10.5” of travel where some other manufacturers had upwards of 13” of travel.
Also some of the pro action shocks were not rebuild able, I believe. You should check that first. I have had several shocks rebuilt over time at Pineer motor sports with good results. How you ride and where you ride will determine what you want and need in your suspension as well.
All this being said, I am no pro by any means. And I have only owned three sleds. Xt 600, 2002 viper, and current 2004 sx viper-s. There used to be a gentleman that worked at Pineer motor sports that was a wizard with yamaha sleds. Years ago he set up my 2002 viper. It was night and day when he was done.
All sleds need there shocks rebuilt over time, so you may want to do that no mater what. While they have them you may be able to have them revaleved. Add stiffer springs and give it a try.
Hope this helps??

Back