Electiric start noises

SilverCruzer

Good morning. Finally got my 2003 Vmax600ER out for a run last week and this was the first startup for the season. When I turned the key, the starter
made a bad noise like it wasn't engaging properly but then turned the engine over. The bad noise sounded like the starter motor and the larger starter wheel ( not sure of the proper name for it ) weren't engaging properly. However, it did then engage and turn over the engine and it started. I had the sled out for 3 days of riding and the starter noise disappeared after using the electric start a few times. Could the original noise be from the stater sticking a bit from not being used all summer/fall ? Seems that once it was used a few times it engaged and started the sled like it should. I put a new battery in late last season and kept a battery tender on it during the off season so I believe the battery is in good shape. Any thoughts? Thanks.

my dads did the same thing as i was waiting on a modified clutch for it for 1.5 years.. did not sound happy on 1st crank but sounded normal so i am going to leave it alone for now.

might want to check that the ring gear is not moving on the flywheel as they are known to come loose and that is why i modded one to try.

my dads did the same thing as i was waiting on a modified clutch for it for 1.5 years.. did not sound happy on 1st crank but sounded normal so i am going to leave it alone for now.

might want to check that the ring gear is not moving on the flywheel as they are known to come loose and that is why i modded one to try.

Thanks for the reply and info. Will check the ring gear. Thanks again.

Sounds like the bindex was sticking and cleaned itself up after sitting all summer. Clean with some brake cleaner and a little lubricant. Something that won’t attract a lot of dirt.

Can I do this without removing the starter ?

Yes. In fact just for cleaning removing the starter is way too much work. It’s not a fun job. You can get at it good enough just use a new can of cleaner cause it’s tough to get a good angle and a low can wont spray good at weird angles. Clean, spin the bindex. Clean, spin the bindex and so on. I just hit the kill switch and turn motor over with key. My e starts are add Ons so not sure if engine will turn over on original ER electric start sleds. But you get the point. Then lube Up in same fashion.

Yes. In fact just for cleaning removing the starter is way too much work. It’s not a fun job. You can get at it good enough just use a new can of cleaner cause it’s tough to get a good angle and a low can wont spray good at weird angles. Clean, spin the bindex. Clean, spin the bindex and so on. I just hit the kill switch and turn motor over with key. My e starts are add Ons so not sure if engine will turn over on original ER electric start sleds. But you get the point. Then lube Up in same fashion.

Thanks so much for the help.

Back