oil pump on viper

My question is on setting the cable on the oil pump my problem is i have an aftermarket cable so i cant measure the gap on the cable had to use aftermarket because of the risers my question is when you are wide open throttle is the oil pump full open im thinking if i set the pump to be full open when wide open throttle can it be set up this way thanks

hmm, viper mnt is the route I would go. Start rich and bring a gatorade jug with 32 oz of oil when you get gas fill back to the line you made and write down how much gas adjust accordingly.

No I wouldn’t. You want to average about a quart of oil a tank of gas. That’s why I never use aftermarket stuff. It’s best to use oem. The mountain viper cables work best with this and the adjustment is the same as regular viper cables. But full open will be way to much oil.

all you are looking for is total swing of the arm from idle (after all other adjustments made) - I think many guys over-complicate this because you can't measure gap the same way with A/M cables. Mark a reference point at the joint (usually near the adjuster) - then pull the cable housing apart until the pump arm stops and mark this reference point. The distance between points is the total swing from idle to stop. This is basically how the stock cable is measured but very important to note that depth of the socket the cable fits into is effectively subtracted from the total when using the OEM procedure with stock cable. Don't overthink this - stock method you measure how far the cable housing travels before the oil pump arm stops and measure the distance it traveled minus the depth of the socket. Be sure to measure this (sorry used to know it off top of my head) - then add this to the total swing measurement you need to adjust to. Fine tune from there to fit your personal taste.

Measuring consumption is a good safeguard, but is affected greatly by throttle position so always consider that.

Last edited:
You can run your oil pump at full pull. My Viper BB is set up that way. Jeff Simons at CPR (computer pipe research) recommended this to me in 2005. You will not see any difference in color looking at the plug. I have never quantified how much additional oil is used for comparison and suspect its not much more than the stock setting.
---Mac---

Full pull oil setup. One thousand foot ice. three of four pulls on this plug.

plugs2003.jpg

thank you all i ordered a viper mtn cable hope its long enough i just got done rebuilding the motor smoked a pist a few weeks ago so im dont want to have any problems guess im being over causouse it is piped with cpr pipes ran it 4 yrs no issues this year on a warm day i smoked the piston bent a rod and put a hole in the case just staying on the safe side thanks again

Back