Viper 700 ER servo question

Yamidude

This is my first post sooooo, here goes......I recently bought a 2004 Yamaha Viper 700 ER in excellent condition that had been sitting in a barn for years, so I am going through every part of it trying to get it trail ready. First I'd like to say that the information found on this site has been a great help and I thank everyone for sharing their knowledge. The purpose for my post is probably a simple answer, but I could not find any mention of it in other threads. I started with the thread for the Power Valve system maintenance, cleaning and adjusting them to spec. The problem that I may (or may not) have is that the servo motor no longer cycles when I turn the key on. When I first brought it home and cleaned the carbs, I would turn the key to the on position and the servo would cycle once and it seemed ok. After cleaning and adjusting the valves, it no longer does that. I have seen the affects of the adjustment being too tight, and it caused the servo motor to chirp repeatedly because the adjustments were too tight. That is not the case. I have manually rolled the servo back and then turned the key on and the servo cycles until the cables are taught, but it stays in that position even after I've ran it, shut it off and restarted it. Could the valves be hung up and not retracting back? Is this normal or should the servo cycle at each start up?

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Your fine, normal and how it’s supposed to work. The servo won’t move again until you ride it. Sounds like you got a nice sled and did a good job going through it. Welcome and merry Christmas.

Back