Srx fuel sender not working?

nick5oh

Fired up the sled no gauge reading. Pulled up on float with coat hanger and still no reading. While doing that I noticed float rod had quite a bit of side to side movement in the tank. Thought that was funny.....
I then checked resistance and it was way out of spec. When moving the float up and down the readings went all outta wack. Again thought the side to side movement was funny. Pulled the float up again with a coat hanger and then grabbed hold of it with needle hose pliers....i then lost my grip on the pliers and they opened enough to lose grip on the float rod....it then dropped to the bottom of the tank and is no longer connected to the rest of the sending unit.....has this happened to anyone before? Is it broken? Parts schematic on partzilla is showing that the rod may just slide into the other part of the sending unit? I’m unsure though

Fired up the sled no gauge reading. Pulled up on float with coat hanger and still no reading. While doing that I noticed float rod had quite a bit of side to side movement in the tank. Thought that was funny.....
I then checked resistance and it was way out of spec. When moving the float up and down the readings went all outta wack. Again thought the side to side movement was funny. Pulled the float up again with a coat hanger and then grabbed hold of it with needle hose pliers....i then lost my grip on the pliers and they opened enough to lose grip on the float rod....it then dropped to the bottom of the tank and is no longer connected to the rest of the sending unit.....has this happened to anyone before? Is it broken? Parts schematic on partzilla is showing that the rod may just slide into the other part of the sending unit? I’m unsure though
Wow, three years and no reply. That's unusual but then again I've only been here for a few months. I too having a problem with the fuel gauge on my 1999 Venture VT 500.

You have to be sure its not the electric gauge.. are you sure there is power.
I'm in the process of removing the fuel tank to get at the sending unit. Just saw that I have to remove a bolt between the oil tank and fuel tank, seems this is what is holding me back from pulling the tank out. The gauge does give a reading but won't go over half even though the tank is full...... Will update when problem solved.

I'm in the process of removing the fuel tank to get at the sending unit. Just saw that I have to remove a bolt between the oil tank and fuel tank, seems this is what is holding me back from pulling the tank out. The gauge does give a reading but won't go over half even though the tank is full...... Will update when problem solved.
I look forward to what you report

I got the tank out, pulled the sending unit out and inspected it. The rod was bent quite a bit, sounds like someone tried to get the gauge going before I bought the sled. The part that rubs on the (I'll call it the rheostat) was bent, and some roughness on the other part. Long story short, I ordered a new sending unit. more to follow.

I got the tank out, pulled the sending unit out and inspected it. The rod was bent quite a bit, sounds like someone tried to get the gauge going before I bought the sled. The part that rubs on the (I'll call it the rheostat) was bent, and some roughness on the other part. Long story short, I ordered a new sending unit. more to follow.
Nice. Keep us posted.

Here's a couple of pics of the sending unit when I pulled it out. Like I said, the rod was bent, the brass slider is bent ant the part that it slides over it all scraped up. Someone pulled up too hard on the rod and screwed up the brass slider past the limit tab.

Here's a couple of pics of the sending unit when I pulled it out. Like I said, the rod was bent, the brass slider is bent ant the part that it slides over it all scraped up. Someone pulled up too hard on the rod and screwed up the brass slider past the limit tab.

Good cleaning and straightening and you should be back in business.

Sorry, no time, don't want to have to put it all back together and it fails this winter. I shouldn't say no time, it's more of a decision I chose. Ordered one and it's on the way, thks for the heads up anyway. Less than $100 cdn delivered, If I could have found a screw in gas cap with a gauge, I would have gone that way but apparently they don't make one for the Venture.

Sorry, no time, don't want to have to put it all back together and it fails this winter. I shouldn't say no time, it's more of a decision I chose. Ordered one and it's on the way, thks for the heads up anyway. Less than $100 cdn delivered, If I could have found a screw in gas cap with a gauge, I would have gone that way but apparently they don't make one for the Venture.
Not a bad price. Still good choice.

Not a bad price. Still good choice.
Got my new sending unit today. Did a bench resistance test, 95.2 ohms empty and 9.0 ohms full. Couldn’t find specs for it. I’ll hook it up inside the tank without installing tank and run the engine just long enough to pull the float up and nice and easy and read the guage. Maybe today. Also you can bend the metal tabs where the rod limits out to adjust for precision. Not sure I’m going to do that though.

Got my new sending unit today. Did a bench resistance test, 95.2 ohms empty and 9.0 ohms full. Couldn’t find specs for it. I’ll hook it up inside the tank without installing tank and run the engine just long enough to pull the float up and nice and easy and read the guage. Maybe today. Also you can bend the metal tabs where the rod limits out to adjust for precision. Not sure I’m going to do that though.
Awesome!! Should all be good.

Just plugged it in, fired up the sled with the little gas left in the carb (didn't hook up the fuel line). Gently pulled up on the float rod, went to 100%. All good, case closed. Tks all.

Back