98 Vmax 600 XTC Twin, won't idle without choke and oil leaking from mag side

pete_man26

Hey guys,

I'm looking over a 98 Twin that hasn't ran in about 8 or 9 years. I've went through almost everything, cleaned carbs (which were full of oil), blew out fuel lines, drained fuel tank and added fresh, checked compression, checked for spark. So last night went to fire it up, got it to run on one cylinder for a bit but the 2nd would barely cut in. Tried swapping plugs, carb has fuel but still wouldn't fire. Eventually, I could only get it to run on one cylinder only if the choke was full on. I then noticed underneath the motor on mag side a pool of oil, so I removed carbs again and checked them thoroughly, not plugged and full of fresh fuel. Now my initial thought is, need choke to run tells me it's sucking air in from somewhere, oil underneath mag side, is the crank seal dried up and cracked once I fired it up? I pulled the boots when I pulled carbs but will check them again.

What's your guys opinion? Motor is ready to come out right now but if I don't have to I won't.

If only runs on choke tells me plugged pilot. But if your sure you pulled each jet and made sure every passage was clean and able to see carb cleaner go through tough call. Did you pull float and needles? Not sure if they went to the screen filters under the 98 needles but worth a look. Also check reeds.

My guess is a couple things. Both rubber, and don’t like to sit that long unused.
O rings.
One under the fuel screw on the bottom of the carb, and the most probable culprit, the o ring in the needle and seat assembly. I have also seen broken reeds cause similar issues.
Also, make sure you can see through the tiny holes in the pilots.

Pilots and circuit clean, reeds are ok. Checked needle jet passage and needle jet. I will check the O-rings.

I have 2 easy troubleshooting steps I'm going try first. Brand new set of plugs, with the sleds carbs. If it still don't run then I'm going to pull the carbs off my 97 600 and throw them on this one. Then I can at least pin point the problem.

As for the oil leaking, sounds like there is a oring behind the oil pump housing that can leak.

Thank for the replys.

Back