700 sx

stein700sx

VIP Member
I have a 97 700 sx that I have a hard time starting. I dread stopping for gas or an overnighter.The sled always needs about five to six pulls after a fill-up or if I stop for a longer time (over an hour) it requires three poeple to start it ( too tired to pull any more ) or overnight it takes fresh plugs to start it. The plugs I take out look nice and choc. brown.I have cleaned the carbs and they are spotless.What else should I check?
P.S. Also looking to upgreade frt and rear susp. to a longer travel

if its warm when you restart it try cracking the throttle a little bit. Check the strength and consistency of the spark, because it could very possibly be a weak stator.

I have tried cracking the throttle a bit but it does not seem to help.I have also used my ohm meter on the stator and it checks out to be within 15 ohms of spec altho the specs I was going on are from a buddy that has an older ski doo.( he is a tech for GE and works with electric motors) Does anyone know if a 2000 M Max stator would be the same?The part number is different in the yamma parts but they have also updated this stator for the older models.
Thanx

You also need to check your spark plug caps. I had a hard starting issue at one time and it was as easy as replacing the spark plug caps. If you have never done it before just say so,
Greg can probably send you the specs on the caps but if I'm thinking right they are supposed to be at 5000 ohms, mine were at 4 or 5 meg ohms. I also did repace my stator the next season.

Tod

I have checked the stator. The p/u coil is 215 (within spec) the source coil is 300 (100 less than spec) brown-black/red and the other source coil is 93 (on the low end of spec)brown/red-black. A little confused on the sparkplug cap tho. The caps and wires appear to all be one unit. I checked the res. on the two leads which is 0.2 ohms (on all three).I am guessing that the stator is not 100%.
Thanx Greg for the spec sheet

the caps unscrew off the plug wires. there is a short rubber sleeve you must pull back and then unscrew the cap. i had problems with my caps before, once changeed i got another 40km/h out of my sled. should not be overlooked...

yes, unscrew the caps and take an ohm measurement on the plug cap. Should read around 5000 ohms. When you go to put the new ones on, use side cuts and cut off just enough of the plug wire to have fresh wire to screw the new plug cap into.

With the plug caps off you can now also check the coils. But check again with greg for the correct omh measurement.

Tod

Unscrewed the caps and they test between 4500 and 5000(5000 is the spec).Also test 3.200 from spark plug lead to each plug in and tests 0.2 accross the two plug in leads.
As far as power is concerned I can keep up to the 03 and 04 RX 1 until around 130kmh and then top out around 170kmh (speedoo reading).Bone stock except for a TO track from a 03 RX 1.
Thanx alot for all the info. I am going to try find a good used stator and try that.

My 97 SX had a weak and intermittent spark this year and it turned out to be the stator. I was told that the stators are the same on all Y single pipe 700s up to 01. $180 new from dealer, I paid $150 for a used one at the sled shed in NY.

stein, i am in northern manitoba and just bought a used stator for my 97 sx, replaced it thinking it was the problem and it wasn't i will sell it for what i paid for it. if your interested. pm me if you want..

I had a 97 that always started hard, after the stator failed and it was replaced, the sled started on two pulls every time.

I have a used one off from a 2000 SXR 700 that i will sell to you for $80.00 US plus shipping.

Nicksxr not sure that stator would fit the yamma # is a 8dn prefix for the sxr and for the sx and m max is 8ch prefix
The sxr also seems to have a diif conn. I could be wrong about this I am just going of the pictures I have seen

Forget all that I was looking at srx not the sxr
sorry

Last edited:

Back