oil cable adjustment

Hello, i have a 2003 yamaha viper 700. It has 6 inch risers and powermadd extensions.

I was attempting to set the oil cable adjustment today, as i feel its burning more oil then it should... (almost full tank of oil to about half tank of gas..)

Manual said the distance should me 20mm +/- 1mm, mine is at about 15mm.. and i couldn't get it anymore then that..

Also i couldnt get the throttle free play to be within spec either.. its at 5mm.

Any ideas whats going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, i have a 2003 yamaha viper 700. It has 6 inch risers and powermadd extensions.

I was attempting to set the oil cable adjustment today, as i feel its burning more oil then it should... (almost full tank of oil to about half tank of gas..)

Manual said the distance should me 20mm +/- 1mm, mine is at about 15mm.. and i couldn't get it anymore then that..

Also i couldnt get the throttle free play to be within spec either.. its at 5mm.

Any ideas whats going on here?

Thanks in advance.

That does seem a little excessive. If its at 15 mm now increasing it to 22 mm would that not increase the stroke on the pump as well, giving more? Sure there is no leaks anywhere?

mine is at about 15mm.. and i couldn't get it anymore then that.. Also i couldnt get the throttle free play to be within spec either.. its at 5mm.
It should roughly be 1 tank of fuel : 1/2 a tank of oil. Again this is the general area you should be in.
Ya cannot increase any more the 15mm on the oil cable & not enough throttle free play. All signs point to tight cables.
How long has it been like this. Or is this a new to you sled.
Remember--- less is more.
Less gap=more oil ...... therefore LESS IS MORE.

Last edited:
It should roughly be 1 tank of fuel : 1/2 a tank of oil. Again this is the general area you should be in.
Ya cannot increase any more the 15mm on the oil cable & not enough throttle free play. All signs point to tight cables.

Less is more is good to know lol, I thought for some reason the opposite. Thanks for the clarification.

Disregard my post for sure.

Sure seems like the cable extensions aren't long enough. For sure if you can't increase the gap farther than 15mm's.

Not trying to hijack your thread but which way Leans out the oil pump, more gap or less gap?

I bought the sled with the risers already on it and just thought I would check the gap.. I was tinkering with it tonight, noticed I need a new throttle cable as its on its last strands.. Hopefully when I put the new one on i can get the throttle free play set. As well, I think I figured the oil adjustment part out.. I moved the cable a bit more into the cable extension and ended up actually getting the gap to 20mm. I'm going to tinker with it some more in the day light to make sure the cable is retracting all the back and not getting stuck half way open.

I have read that mtn viper cables are longer, then you would have oem and the adjustment would be oem.

Back