1999 SRX 700 runs perfect on trail, skips off trail

pjjones1984

So, my 99 srx 700 has new coils wires and plugs.
Cleaned the carbs.
Changed out to RM Stator last year but didn’t get spark with it so changed back to the old one.

When I ride on the trail everything runs perfectly, unless I get off the trail and grab a handful of throttle, it will skip on me sometimes up to 2 cylinders. If I feather the throttle in the powder I can keep it running good enough to get around and once I’m up to higher rpm the throttle response is still good at the upper end even can hit 8900 rpm.

But still like I said before, low rpm throttle response in powder cuts out on me.
I did notice that when I switch to high beams the tach and dash lights cut out, but the tach will pick back up again above 2500 rpm, but still no dash lights. Could this relate to the skipping issue?

Thanks for reading!

Guessing you have a rub through in the wire harness under the motor for the headlight issue.

the other can be caused by the exhaust outlet being plugged with snow. Lean to the left to get exhaust out of snow and see if it picks back up.

Last edited:
When my stator went out it reset the dash lights when I switched from low to high on the beam.

Guessing you have a rub through in the wire harness under the motor for the headlight issue.

the other can be caused by the exhaust outlet being plugged with snow. Lean to the left to get exhaust out of snow and see if it picks back up.

I will give the meaning thing a try.
I did re route the harness last season and inspected pretty well, but there still could be a worm wire I’ll look tomorrow. Thanks for your help!!

When my stator went out it reset the dash lights when I switched from low to high on the beam.

Does anyone have the correct wire diagram and specs for the stator? I try testing it but never can get the ohms to stay at a consistent number, keep getting diffeeent readings.

Thanks for the reply!

Does anyone have the correct wire diagram and specs for the stator? I try testing it but never can get the ohms to stay at a consistent number, keep getting diffeeent readings.

Thanks for the reply!

Try a different multimeter. I've had a few glitch out and give me bad information while trying to troubleshoot over the years.

I'm thinking like everyone above, two issues.

Powder bog: possibly from exhaust blocked, or snow getting into engine compartment and hitting a pipe and then the steam being sucked into the air box. The latter is a very common issue on a triple piped viper, especially with painted pipes rather than dipped pipes. My cousins SRX would bog in powder, but only when sidehilling on the exhaust side. He had Aaen painted triples with no shields. He also had a cold air intake in the dash and the hood sealed to the airbox though, so need to determine which is your issue. Usually if the pipes have the shields over them it doesn't seem to have the steam going into the air box issue. Another thought is gearing/clutching. Could it be set up for so much of a drag race style (shifts out very quickly) that it can't handle the load of deep powder on the bottom end? Just a thought.

Tach and Dash lights cutting out: Either the wire for the high beams is rubbed and grounding somewhere, or a weak stator. Try turning hand grips to high, run high beam, and see if the sleds gets a bog when trail riding. When my Viper stator failed it was resetting the tach and dashboard when switching between high/low beam (and when hitting brake), and my hand/thumb warmers wouldn't work. When warmers were cranked to highest setting the sled started bogging at around 6k rpm. Turn warmers off...no bog turn back on...bog again. Not enough voltage being supplied by stator.

Check belt condition , maybe secondary spring wrap may be to loose, belt may be sucking down in secondary...……..

Back