600 vmax gutless

mq32hunter

Like I've said in a few other posts. Just got back into sleds this year so I'm fairly green as far and the mechanics...... My wife's 1997 vmax 600 twin has been running great all winter, until this weekend. My brother and I took off riding and the thing would barely hit 6k rpm. No power, felt like fouled plug. So I switched them out and it didnt change anything. It starts and idles good like normal but just has no power, acts like its loaded up. I noticed it used alot of oil . I'm in the process of cleaning the carbs. I noticed a few of the reeds are not seating all the way on the cage, very close though. Should I replace the reeds right away? Would the way they are make a big difference? And as far as the oil usage, what should I look at there? I'm gonna hopefully get the carbs back on tonight and see if that helped. Thanks again!

On a 600 twin, there are 2 alignment marks on the oil pump. When its WOT, the two marks should align.
In my experience, factory setting was pig rich on the oil pump. First, make sure your marks are aligned, it may be richer than necessary.
If they are aligned, you can set it just a tich leaner, but not much if you feel like you are using more oil than you should.
Make sure you have same compression in both holes too.

Im not sure about the underhood temp, i tend to let them warm up good before we take off. Ill see if i can find the marks on the oil pump. A pilot jet appeared to be plugged. See if i can get it back together tonight. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Back